1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wireless number portability

1. Nov 19, 2003 #1
    Anyone going to switch plans once the new wireless number portability law is passed that you can keep your phone number? I have been happy with At&T Wireless so far.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2003 #2

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

AWS' GSM service, or the older one?

Envious of those cheese-eating surrender monkeys, Brits, Italians, Finns, Indians, Chinese, ... who do all that texting (a.k.a. SMSing/messaging)? Anxious to travel the world without worrying about making your phone (and its contents) work in new places? Get AWS/Cingular/T-Mobile!

Then there are the boring reasons - my carrier has lousy coverage/customer service/billing/...

In places where number portability was introduced a long time ago (Hong Kong was one of the first, IIRC), most operators adopted defensive measures quickly, and churn (percentage of customers who moved to a competitor) returned to 'normal' levels after a few months.

4. Nov 22, 2003 #3
    Nereid what company are you with right now?

5. Nov 22, 2003 #4

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When in the US I use T-Mobile, mostly for historical reasons. However, if Virgin Mobile offered a GSM option, I'd switch in a heartbeat. Why? For most people, the bundles offered by nearly everyone in the market (e.g. 300 'free daytime weekday national minutes', unlimited other time minutes) are more expensive than a pure pay-as-you-go scheme, because of their calling patterns. There are notable exceptions, of course.

In Europe and the Asia-Pacific regions, my preference again is Virgin Mobile, for the same reason. Historically, Orange offered innovative packages, but since its acquisition by France Telecom, they've reverted to 'me-too'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?