Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wireless number portability

1. Nov 19, 2003 #1
    Anyone going to switch plans once the new wireless number portability law is passed that you can keep your phone number? I have been happy with At&T Wireless so far.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2003 #2

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

AWS' GSM service, or the older one?

Envious of those cheese-eating surrender monkeys, Brits, Italians, Finns, Indians, Chinese, ... who do all that texting (a.k.a. SMSing/messaging)? Anxious to travel the world without worrying about making your phone (and its contents) work in new places? Get AWS/Cingular/T-Mobile!

Then there are the boring reasons - my carrier has lousy coverage/customer service/billing/...

In places where number portability was introduced a long time ago (Hong Kong was one of the first, IIRC), most operators adopted defensive measures quickly, and churn (percentage of customers who moved to a competitor) returned to 'normal' levels after a few months.

4. Nov 22, 2003 #3
    Nereid what company are you with right now?

5. Nov 22, 2003 #4

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When in the US I use T-Mobile, mostly for historical reasons. However, if Virgin Mobile offered a GSM option, I'd switch in a heartbeat. Why? For most people, the bundles offered by nearly everyone in the market (e.g. 300 'free daytime weekday national minutes', unlimited other time minutes) are more expensive than a pure pay-as-you-go scheme, because of their calling patterns. There are notable exceptions, of course.

In Europe and the Asia-Pacific regions, my preference again is Virgin Mobile, for the same reason. Historically, Orange offered innovative packages, but since its acquisition by France Telecom, they've reverted to 'me-too'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?