1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wireless Optics

Tags:
  1. Sep 6, 2014 #1
    Can anyone tell me how to convert electrical lan signals into optical signals for wireless transmission via LEDs like they use it Li-Fi systems.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2014 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's just transmission of signal through means other than wire, but not fundamentally different from other wireless solutions such as WiFi systems. Lifi systems use fast-modulated LED sources with photoreceivers to detect the modulated signal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li-Fi

4. Sep 10, 2014 #3
    Yeah ok, but what i want to know is how to bring the data via optical signal to the LEDs for it to transmit?

5. Sep 10, 2014 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The signal before the LED is digital electronic, the conversion to optical signal is performed by the LED, not before it?

6. Sep 15, 2014 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not upto date with lifi. Has the lifi consortium published a standard yet? If not then you might need to wait for that or become a member and help write it. That's normally how these standards get agreed.

7. Mar 30, 2015 #6
    Just make sure the digital signal is run through an inverter or optical led driver IC that is capable of switching at the required speeds and enough current sink ability to light your led properly...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook