Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wireless power (using resonance induction a.k.a. evanescent waves coupling)

1. Mar 3, 2009 #1
    Hello,

I have read a lot of literature in this area and am really confused. I need help.

There is a drive today towards increasing the distance over which energy transfer is feasible.

Currently, mutual induction is used commercially for a whole bunch of applications, but each of them requires that the air gap between the primary and secondary coils be small.

Enter resonance induction: a special kind of induction that uses resonance; I have read that this phenomenon allows for the distance to be increased to a few times the size of the coils. The phenomenon that facilitates the transfer of energy is highly theoretical - "evanescent wave coupling." Literature compares this physics to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_internal_reflection#Frustrated_total_internal_reflection" that occurs in wave-media interactions.

In energy transfer applications, this evanescent field is seen in the "near field" region of a resonator (e.g., LC coil)

My question is: what is the theoretical basis that supports the existence of such a wave in the vicinity of a resonator? and why does coupling of the evanescent wave allow for the air gap distance to be increased?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted