Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wireless Router

1. Jun 8, 2006 #1
    What is a really good wireless router out now? Im hooking up my computer in my room with wireless and I really really dont want to have to put up with disconnecting every 5 minutes, weak signal,etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2006 #2

-Job-

Science Advisor

I recommend against a Linksys router, i had one in the past and it didn't perform (i've also come across many people having trouble with a linksys). Currently i have a Netgear router and i haven't had a problem with overheating or interference (2 other wireless networks in the building, +2 cell phones, +1 wireless phone). It was also suprisingly cheap.
    No complaints so far.

4. Jun 8, 2006 #3
  5. Jun 8, 2006 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That looks good - I have a Netgear Rangemax and it did well for me in my last apartment, which had concrete walls that confounded other routers.

Before it died, I was using a Linksys, hacked to increase the wattage (I installed a cooling fan), and two directional antennas to aim the signal toward a concrete hallway.

6. Jun 8, 2006 #5
    Netgear is good and they can be bought cheap. I have a d-link now and it is wonderful...it was fairly expensive though. Linksys and Belkin wireless routers always seem to have problems from what I have heard (or give weak signals).

7. Jun 8, 2006 #6
  8. Jun 8, 2006 #7
    Well getting a new router is up to you...but the new ones have far better range. Yes, you can get an adaptor like that, or you can get a wireless networking card. If you do get a card, then make sure it will work with your pc and you will have to install it.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  9. Jun 8, 2006 #8
    Does either one have any advantage over the other?

10. Jun 8, 2006 #9
    Well, the card would be in your computer and not stuck in one of your usb ports.

11. Jun 9, 2006 #10
    Cisco Aironet is the best in the buisness, but u will have to pay over 400$ to own one.

I havent had any problems with Netgear or Linksys (cisco's little brother).

If you want to boost the range of a downmarket WIFI access point, get a better aerial

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?