Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wireless router

1. Jul 11, 2004 #1
    wireless router....

i bought a new wireless router from LinkSys...model no. is BEFW 11S4...i was asked to go to to configure my connection.....but i can't even go to how can i configure my connection?
    Must i go to the site to configure it or i can configure it manually without visiting the site?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2004 #2
    did you get issued an IP address from the Wifi Router?

Open CMD and type ipconfig to find out, look for the default gateway, this will be your wifi router... open IE and put in the this IP address to configure the router...
  4. Jul 11, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

IIRC, the wireless access point is not turned on when you initially turn the router on. You'll need to actually plug into it with an ethernet cable to be able to set it up and turn the wireless access point on.

- Warren
  5. Jul 11, 2004 #4
    Remember that is not a site on the Internet. It is the IP address that your router assumes on your home network.
  6. Jul 12, 2004 #5
    so how to configure it?
  7. Jul 12, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Plug a cable into it, then direct a browser to, then follow directions. Ask specific questions, please.

- Warren
  8. Jul 12, 2004 #7
    yeh good point, I thought he had pluged in an ethernet cable :-/
  9. Jul 12, 2004 #8

Staff: Mentor

No offense, but most manuals have quite specific and easy to follow directions...
  10. Jul 12, 2004 #9
    True. And Linksys has pretty good tech support, I've dealt with them in the past and had no problems.

Just don't ask them the meaning of life.
  11. Jul 13, 2004 #10
    uhmmm, what is "the meaning of life" ? as your post mentioned ?
  12. Jul 14, 2004 #11
  13. Jul 17, 2004 #12
    i am using wireless router now to link to 2 of my pc.....so can i configure one of the pc to be faster on surfing the net?
  14. Jul 17, 2004 #13
    unless you want to use a Packetshapper or some Nbar on a router (cisco) you will find it difficult giving one PC morebandwith than the other, typically any PC behind a NAT device will share the bandwidth at the NAT device...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?