What Could Be Causing Inconsistent Wireless Signal Strength?

In summary: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer or retailer to see if they might have a compatible unit in stock?
RonL
Gold Member
Installed a D-Link DIR-655 Router for my wireless network.
The network consist of 3 desktop computers, 3 laptops, and 1 Blu-ray (netflix setup).
The only problem is that one laptop has a signal strength that varies from (the high) that I have seen, 38Mbps down to 1Mbps.
The trend seems to always start at mid 20 and fall to 1 after a short time online, the room is in the back of the house about 50' away from the base unit.

Could this be a heat related problem ? or possible software conflicts ?
Thanks for any help.

Ron

Computer science news on Phys.org
I haven't looked at the specific protocols used for wireless ethernet but I suspect there may be something built into progressively increase redundancy for low signal to noise ratioas, so it's possible that when you turn it on it assumes a low amount of redundancy, and then as the error correction codes start to detect tons of errors it adds in a whole bunch of redundancy which slows down the communication drastically. Try bringing the laptop closer to the wireless router so it has a better signal and see if the problem persists.

junglebeast said:
I haven't looked at the specific protocols used for wireless ethernet but I suspect there may be something built into progressively increase redundancy for low signal to noise ratioas, so it's possible that when you turn it on it assumes a low amount of redundancy, and then as the error correction codes start to detect tons of errors it adds in a whole bunch of redundancy which slows down the communication drastically. Try bringing the laptop closer to the wireless router so it has a better signal and see if the problem persists.

Sorry to take so long responding.:shy:

Thanks for your response, I don't understand much about what you described, but I do have the book " Microsoft Windows XP inside and out", the next step is to study about the things you mentioned above.
I did take one of the other laptops into the room (which is 85' away) and got the same response, so my guess is the distance and interference between the base and computer. My wife's netbook seems totally unaffected.

One other thought is to use a splitter in the line (100' from office to sunroom) to the blu ray unit, and install a range booster, wonder if anyone has ideas of this working?

Ron

Are all of your network cards draft N or are they a mix of G and N?

B. Elliott said:
Are all of your network cards draft N or are they a mix of G and N?

Looks like more to learn:smile:
The D-Link DIR-655 is draft N, backward compatible with 802.11g devises.

I checked online for wireless range extenders and on the d-link site they offered three units, of which none were compatable with my DIR-655 Router.

My wife has a long list of honey do's, guess this will carry over to next week.

Thanks
Ron

1. What is wireless signal strength?

Wireless signal strength refers to the level of radio frequency (RF) signals being transmitted and received by a wireless device, such as a phone, computer, or router. It is a measure of how strong and clear the wireless connection is between the device and the router or access point.

2. How is wireless signal strength measured?

Wireless signal strength is measured in decibels (dBm) or percentage (%). dBm is a unit of measurement that indicates the power ratio in decibels (dB) of the signal received by the device. It is a negative number, and the closer it is to 0, the stronger the signal. Percentage is a relative measure of signal strength and is often displayed on devices as a simple bar or icon.

3. What affects wireless signal strength?

There are several factors that can affect wireless signal strength, including distance from the router, physical barriers like walls and furniture, interference from other electronic devices, and the number of devices connected to the network. The type and quality of the router and the wireless technology being used can also impact signal strength.

4. How can I improve wireless signal strength?

To improve wireless signal strength, you can try moving closer to the router, removing physical barriers, minimizing interference, and reducing the number of devices connected to the network. Upgrading to a newer, more powerful router or using a range extender can also help improve signal strength. Additionally, keeping the router and wireless devices up-to-date with the latest firmware can optimize performance.

5. Is there a way to test wireless signal strength?

Yes, there are various tools and methods for testing wireless signal strength. Many devices have built-in signal strength indicators, but you can also use apps and software specifically designed for this purpose. Additionally, there are physical tools, such as Wi-Fi analyzers, that can help measure and analyze wireless signal strength in different areas of your home or office.