What are some affordable options for wireless transmitter/receiver packages?

• Thread starter dsa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wireless
In summary, the speaker is looking for a good source for a wireless transmitter/receiver package with a range of 50 feet. They have been using an off the shelf set from Linear Corp with frequency of 300MHz, but have been experiencing range and interference problems. They are considering designing their own solution or switching to a different off the shelf product. The speaker also mentions that there is no PC or USB present and the transmitter is handheld while the receiver is powered by 24V. They ask for suggestions and someone recommends a $10 RF remote control from eBay as a starting point for their search.
dsa
Anyone have a good source for a wireless transmitter/receiver package.

We have been using an off the shelf set for one of our products at work from Linear Corp. This one is similar to a really old garage door opener technology.

We have been having problems with range and interference problems and I am thinking of maybe doing our own in house design or moving to a different off the shelf product.

The set we get now is like $100 for the pair and my searches have been hsowing a lot more expensive sets.

It has to be radio not infrared.

Engineering news on Phys.org
dsa said:
Anyone have a good source for a wireless transmitter/receiver package.

We have been using an off the shelf set for one of our products at work from Linear Corp. This one is similar to a really old garage door opener technology.

We have been having problems with range and interference problems and I am thinking of maybe doing our own in house design or moving to a different off the shelf product.

The set we get now is like $100 for the pair and my searches have been hsowing a lot more expensive sets.

It has to be radio not infrared.

What kind of range are you shooting for? What kinds of noise sources are present? What band was used with your current solution? Can you just use WiFi? Have you looked at ISM band transceivers, like Cypress' Wirless USB? What is the source of the data, what is the datarate, and what is the consumer of the data?

The range required is max of 50'
Noise can be RF welders, motors etc..
The current solution has a frquency of 300MHZ i believe.

There is no PC or USB present. The transmitter is oviously a hand held gizmo and the receiver is powered by 24V and the output basically closes a 24V relay coil

A search for RF Remote Control on eBay got me to this for $10:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-CH-RF-Wireless-Remote-Control-Momentary-Toggle_W0QQitemZ250255775320QQihZ015QQcategoryZ2563QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like the class of device you are looking for. Maybe use that hit to help you refine your search.

What is a wireless transmitter/receiver?

A wireless transmitter/receiver is a device that allows for the transmission and reception of data or signals without the use of physical wires or cables. It uses radio frequency waves to send and receive information between two devices, such as a computer and a wireless router.

How does a wireless transmitter/receiver work?

A wireless transmitter converts data or signals into radio frequency waves and sends them through the air. The receiver then picks up these waves and converts them back into data or signals that can be understood by the receiving device.

What are the benefits of using a wireless transmitter/receiver?

One of the main benefits of using a wireless transmitter/receiver is the convenience of being able to connect devices without the need for physical wires or cables. This allows for more flexibility in device placement and eliminates the hassle of dealing with tangled wires. Wireless transmission also allows for easier and faster data transfer, making it ideal for tasks such as streaming media or file sharing.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using a wireless transmitter/receiver?

One potential drawback of using a wireless transmitter/receiver is the potential for interference from other electronic devices or obstacles such as walls or large objects. This can lead to a weaker or disrupted signal, resulting in slower data transfer or loss of connection. Additionally, wireless transmission may not be as secure as wired connections, making it more vulnerable to hacking or data breaches.

How can I improve the performance of my wireless transmitter/receiver?

To improve the performance of your wireless transmitter/receiver, you can try optimizing your wireless network settings, such as changing the channel or upgrading to a higher frequency band. You can also ensure that the devices are in close proximity to each other and minimize any potential sources of interference. Upgrading to a newer and more advanced wireless technology, such as Wi-Fi 6, can also help improve performance.