Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wireless usb

1. May 29, 2008 #1
    is there such a thing as a wireless usb to usb. for example i want to connect my printer to my laptop and it would be really easy if i could simply plug a thing into the usb input on my laptop and plug a thing into the usb of the printer and it would work essentially as a wireless usb cable.

basicaly im not to hot with computers and i cant get my head around printer sharing. also its not ideal to have to have my PC on when i need to print something, it wuold be much better with a direct link to the printer without having to by a new wifi printer.

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is a wireless USB standard but it has never really caught on because Bluetooth got there first.
    You can buy either a bluetooth USB printer server or a wifi (better) one for your printer and then connect using the either the built-in wifi in your laptop or adding a usb wifi adaptor.

4. May 29, 2008 #3
    Actually it's just starting to take over, and if I recall correctly it's has a much faster data-transfer rate to be compared to bluetooth.

5. Jun 6, 2008 #4
    Thanks, guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?