Wiring a Rectifier for Aquariumlet Light Setup

In summary, the person is trying to wire a cooling fan to a light set with a transformer that outputs 12V 0.5A. They have a bridge rectifier but are unsure if they need any additional components for the circuit. Another person suggests that a capacitor is not necessary for a motor and that a resistor may be needed if the voltage is too high. They also mention measuring the actual motor current and choosing an appropriate resistor for a 2V drop.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'm wiring my aquariumlet up for light. It's one of those standard 3x20W puck light sets, but I only need one light. I want to wire up a cooling fan using one of the other light terminals.

The light set has a transformer that outputs 12V 0.5A, and each puck is 20W max.

My CPU cooling fan wants 12VDC 0.08A.

Presumably, the light is AC, so I've got me a bridge rectifier. I'm not sure I got the right one, it was what the guy behind the counter recommended based on my needs.

It says:

GI
W02G
644M

Even if it's not perfect, he says I likely won't burn it out.

He also said though, that it will likely put out something closer to 14V.

So: do I need anythnig else for this circuit? A resistor?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are connecting a CPU fan then that's all you need. I assume the rectifier has four pins. Two pins are for AC input, and plus-minus pins for the rectified output. To stabilize the voltage coming out of the rectifier it is customary to put a capacitor across the output. But for a motor that's not necessary.

waht said:
If you are connecting a CPU fan then that's all you need.

I assume the rectifier has four pins. Two pins are for AC input, and plus-minus pins for the rectified output.
Yeah, I wasn't sure about that. One pin is labelled +. If I call that North, then pins E and W seem to be labelled with a vertical ~. And the south pin is not labelled. The North-West edge of the otherwise-round rectifier is flat (like a transisitor).

waht said:
To stabilize the voltage coming out of the rectifier it is customary to put a capacitor across the output. But for a motor that's not necessary.
Oh. I thought maybe the rectifier included the capacitor. Cool. I'll need to figure out what size cap.

You don't need the cap for a motor. And if the transformer output is 12-14 Vac, then a cap will get you 16-19 Vdc. You're better off without the cap for running a 12Vdc motor.

Redbelly98 said:
You don't need the cap for a motor. And if the transformer output is 12-14 Vac, then a cap will get you 16-19 Vdc. You're better off without the cap for running a 12Vdc motor.
OK.

What about input vs output wattage? Do I need a resistor in there?

Hi Dave,

Since the failure mode for a motor would be overheating, as opposed to electrical arcing, I think that rectified 12Vrms should be safe for a 12Vdc rated motor.

If it turns out to be 14 Vrms you may be pushing things and a series resistor would drop that voltage down. Suggest you measure actual motor current, then choose appropriate resistor for a 2V drop (or whatever drop you need). 1/2W power rating will suffice for up to about 5V drop, for 0.08 A current.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually run a DC motor on rectified AC myself. Others, feel free to chime in here (agree or disagree with my reasoning in 1st paragraph?)

Regards,

Mark

1. What is a rectifier and why is it needed for an aquarium light setup?

A rectifier is an electrical device that converts alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC). It is needed for an aquarium light setup because most aquarium lights run on DC power, so the rectifier ensures that the correct type of power is supplied to the lights.

2. How do I choose the right rectifier for my aquarium light setup?

The right rectifier will depend on the voltage and amperage requirements of your aquarium lights. You will need to determine the voltage and amperage of your lights and choose a rectifier with the same or higher values. It is also important to ensure that the rectifier is compatible with your power source.

3. Can I wire multiple aquarium lights to one rectifier?

Yes, you can wire multiple lights to one rectifier as long as the total voltage and amperage of the lights does not exceed the output of the rectifier. You may need to use a power strip or splitter to connect the lights to the rectifier.

4. How do I wire the rectifier for my aquarium light setup?

The wiring process will depend on the specific type of rectifier and lights you are using. Generally, you will need to connect the AC power source to the input terminals of the rectifier and the DC output terminals to the lights. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and consult a professional if you are unsure.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when wiring a rectifier for my aquarium light setup?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when working with electricity. Always turn off the power source before making any connections and avoid touching any live wires. It is also recommended to use a surge protector for added protection. If you are not confident in your abilities, it is best to seek the help of a professional electrician.