Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wiring a rectifier

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I'm wiring my aquariumlet up for light. It's one of those standard 3x20W puck light sets, but I only need one light. I want to wire up a cooling fan using one of the other light terminals.

The light set has a transformer that outputs 12V 0.5A, and each puck is 20W max.

My CPU cooling fan wants 12VDC 0.08A.

Presumably, the light is AC, so I've got me a bridge rectifier. I'm not sure I got the right one, it was what the guy behind the counter recommended based on my needs.

It says:

GI
    W02G
    644M

Even if it's not perfect, he says I likely won't burn it out.

He also said though, that it will likely put out something closer to 14V.

So: do I need anythnig else for this circuit? A resistor?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2008 #2
    If you are connecting a CPU fan then that's all you need. I assume the rectifier has four pins. Two pins are for AC input, and plus-minus pins for the rectified output. To stabilize the voltage coming out of the rectifier it is customary to put a capacitor across the output. But for a motor that's not necessary.

4. Oct 5, 2008 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yeah, I wasn't sure about that. One pin is labelled +. If I call that North, then pins E and W seem to be labelled with a vertical ~. And the south pin is not labelled. The North-West edge of the otherwise-round rectifier is flat (like a transisitor).

Oh. I thought maybe the rectifier included the capacitor. Cool. I'll need to figure out what size cap.

5. Oct 5, 2008 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need the cap for a motor. And if the transformer output is 12-14 Vac, then a cap will get you 16-19 Vdc. You're better off without the cap for running a 12Vdc motor.

6. Oct 6, 2008 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

OK.

What about input vs output wattage? Do I need a resistor in there?

7. Oct 6, 2008 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Dave,

Since the failure mode for a motor would be overheating, as opposed to electrical arcing, I think that rectified 12Vrms should be safe for a 12Vdc rated motor.

If it turns out to be 14 Vrms you may be pushing things and a series resistor would drop that voltage down. Suggest you measure actual motor current, then choose appropriate resistor for a 2V drop (or whatever drop you need). 1/2W power rating will suffice for up to about 5V drop, for 0.08 A current.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually run a DC motor on rectified AC myself. Others, feel free to chime in here (agree or disagree with my reasoning in 1st paragraph?)

Regards,

Mark

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?