1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wiring mystery

1. Mar 12, 2010 #1
    have been told there is a way to make this mystery below work and cant figure it out. I know it wouldnt be up to code and i would never do it but if someone could hook me up with a wire diagram of how its done i really appreciate it. Im pretty sure switching the neutral is involved electrician,

there are 7 three way switches and 7 lights and the switches need to work like described below and it also has to work in reverse from switch 7 back to switch 1. please please help

ok, all the switches are 3 way, when u turn on switch 1, light 1 and 2 comes on when u hit switch 2, light 1 goes off and 2 and 3 come on, when u hit switch 3 light 2 goes off and 3 and 4 come on, when u hit switch 4 light 3 goes off and 4 and 5 come on, switch 5, light 4 off 5 and 6 come on, switch 6 5 goes off and 6 and 7 come on when u hit switch 7 they all go off, it has to work in both directions. . susposedly it has something to do with the way lights were wired in mines.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2010 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You will need single-throw double pole, three way switches. The second switch is wired as the second switch in the three-way control for light #1 and (using the second set of contacts) the first switch in the three-way control for light #2. Just repeat that for n lights.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook