Wisconsin or Michigan for nuclear engineering (fusion) PhD?

In summary, Wisconsin and Michigan both have strong programs in plasma physics, with Wisconsin having a stronger focus on MHD theory and CFD, while Michigan offers more options in applied plasmas outside of fusion energy. It is possible to switch between the two fields during a PhD program, and by the end of your PhD, you are expected to be a general expert in plasma physics. It is also possible to switch to a different field, such as fission reactors, with a PhD in plasma applications, and you can choose to only report a master's degree in nuclear engineering on your resume to avoid being overqualified for certain job positions. Ultimately, both schools have a strong reputation and offer valuable education in their respective fields.
Fusiontron
I'm looking for some input on this. Wisconsin has the better programs for MHD theory, CFD, and my undergrad advisor told me IHO it has the best plasma physics program period. However Michigan offers more options in applied plasmas in areas other than fusion energy. Honestly, I don't know if fusion energy is ever going to be viable so I might choose Michigan because although maybe the program isn't as strong for plasmas, the areas of application would led to a better career. Or it is possible to switch between the two? Or could I later do an ever bigger switch such as plasma -> fission reactor later on for job purposes even if I do a PhD on the plasma side?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to work in fission, do your PhD in fission.
If you want to work in fusion, do you PhD in fusion. (plasma or inertial, you have to chose))
If you want to work in non-fusion plasma physics, go for a PhD there.
If you don't care about your future job, then chose the field you prefer.

see also: https://www.iter.org

Fusiontron said:
I'm looking for some input on this. Wisconsin has the better programs for MHD theory, CFD, and my undergrad advisor told me IHO it has the best plasma physics program period. However Michigan offers more options in applied plasmas in areas other than fusion energy. Honestly, I don't know if fusion energy is ever going to be viable so I might choose Michigan because although maybe the program isn't as strong for plasmas, the areas of application would led to a better career. Or it is possible to switch between the two? Or could I later do an ever bigger switch such as plasma -> fission reactor later on for job purposes even if I do a PhD on the plasma side?

I would guess that the basic plasma physics theory is the same, no matter what you do with it. The application of it is what makes the two programs different. However, you shouldn't think that just because you applied it in a certain specific area, you are boxed into that area. By the time you have your PhD, you are expected to not only be an expert in a particular area, but also a general expert in plasma physics, period. And, it is also expected that you know how to learn and how to teach yourself new things if you have to switch fields.

Someone who has a more in-depth expertise in this field can tell you a lot more. However, I really can't see you doing any wrong with any of these two schools. They are extremely well-known and well-established in those two fields.

Disclaimer: I graduated from UW-Wisconsin and spent the first year there as a NE freshman before switching to physics.

Zz.

Yeah that seems like what I've heard you've got to be able to transition. What do you think about a more dramatic switch from plasmas to fission reactors? I would only have a MS skill level with fission reactors with a PhD focusing on plasma applications. Would that make me "overqualified" for MS skill level fission jobs?

No, just don't report your PhD on your resume. Tell them you have a masters in NE, won't be a lie.

1. How do the nuclear engineering programs at Wisconsin and Michigan differ?

Both Wisconsin and Michigan have highly reputable nuclear engineering programs, but they differ in their specific areas of focus. Wisconsin's program has a strong emphasis on fusion energy research, while Michigan's program has a broader focus that includes other areas of nuclear engineering such as fission and radiation detection.

2. What research opportunities are available for nuclear engineering PhD students at Wisconsin and Michigan?

Both Wisconsin and Michigan offer a wide range of research opportunities for nuclear engineering PhD students. At Wisconsin, students have the opportunity to work on projects related to fusion energy, plasma physics, and advanced reactor design. At Michigan, students can conduct research in areas such as nuclear reactor design, nuclear materials, and radiation transport.

3. What are the job prospects for graduates of Wisconsin and Michigan's nuclear engineering programs?

Graduates of both Wisconsin and Michigan's nuclear engineering programs have strong job prospects in the field of nuclear engineering. With the increasing demand for clean energy sources, there is a growing need for professionals with expertise in fusion energy. Additionally, both universities have strong ties with industry partners, providing students with opportunities for internships and job placements after graduation.

4. What resources and facilities are available for nuclear engineering research at Wisconsin and Michigan?

Both Wisconsin and Michigan have state-of-the-art facilities and resources for nuclear engineering research. Wisconsin's fusion energy center, the Wisconsin Plasma Physics Laboratory, is equipped with a variety of experimental and diagnostic tools for fusion research. Michigan's Michigan Ion Beam Laboratory is home to several research facilities, including a neutron generator and a radioisotope production facility.

5. How do the faculty and student communities differ at Wisconsin and Michigan's nuclear engineering programs?

The faculty and student communities at Wisconsin and Michigan's nuclear engineering programs are both highly collaborative and supportive. However, there are some differences in the size and composition of the communities. Wisconsin's program is smaller and more specialized, with a tight-knit community of faculty and students focused on fusion energy research. Michigan's program is larger and more diverse, with a wider range of research areas and a larger student population.