What does f(t) Subscripted to g(t) Epsilon Mean?

• I
  • Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the notation ##f(t) \ll_\epsilon (g(t))^\epsilon## and its use in the Lindelöf hypothesis, which asserts that ##\zeta(\sigma+it) \ll_\epsilon (1+|t|)^\epsilon## for every positive ##\epsilon##. The subscript ##\epsilon## denotes a very small quantity and the Vinogradov notation ##f(x) \ll g(x)## is the same as the Big O notation. The inequality ##\epsilon>0## typically implies that ##\epsilon<1##, and it is used in functions involving something raised to a power of ##\
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
What does this mean: ##f(t) \ll_\epsilon (g(t))^\epsilon## ?

Ref: Beginning of the introduction here.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Could you quote that part of the paper?

I couldn't access the researchgate link as it may be a paywall.

Usually the double less than symbols means "much less than"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Less-than_sign

Double less-than sign​

The double less-than sign, <<, may be used for an approximation of the much-less-than sign (≪) or of the opening guillemet («). ASCII does not encode either of these signs, though they are both included in Unicode.

In the wikipedia Lindelof hypothesis article, they reference a result by Ingham:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindelöf_hypothesis

Other consequences
Denoting by pn the n-th prime number, a result by Albert Ingham shows that the Lindelöf hypothesis implies that, for any ε > 0,
p_{n+1}-p_n\ll p_n^{1/2+\varepsilon}\,

if n is sufficiently large. However, this result is much worse than that of the large prime gap conjecture.

Last edited:
jedishrfu said:
I couldn't access the researchgate link as it may be a paywall.

I don't have a subscription either. If you scroll down, you can read it (embedded in the same page).

It says,
Let s=σ+it be a complex variable and ζ(s)the Riemann zeta-function. The classical Lindelof hypothesis asserts that ##\zeta(\sigma+it) \ll_\epsilon (1+|t|)^\epsilon## for every positive ##\epsilon##.

<< means "much less than" ... that's familiar, but what about the subscript?

The subscript ##\epsilon## is used to denote a very small quantity often used in epsilon-delta limit proofs but I'm sure when its used as a subscript to the much less than.

Maybe @fresh_42 or @Mark44 will know.

Let s=σ+it be a complex variable and ζ(s)the Riemann zeta-function. The classical Lindelof hypothesis asserts that ##\zeta(\sigma+it) \ll_\epsilon (1+|t|)^\epsilon## for every positive ##\epsilon##.
I've never seem that notation before and I don't know what it, ##\ll_\epsilon##, means. The Wikipedia page, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindelöf_hypothesis, says something different.
##\zeta(\frac 1 2 + it) = O(t^\epsilon)## with a similar equation that follows.

The expression ##f(x) \ll g(x)## uses what is called Vinogradov notation. It means that there exists a constant ##C > 0## such that

##|f(x)| \leq Cg(x)##

where it's usually understood that ##x \rightarrow \infty##.

The Vinogradov notation ##f(x) \ll g(x)## is the same as the so-called Big O notation. That is, ##f(x) = O(g(x))## means the same as ##f(x) \ll g(x)##. The subscript ##\epsilon## means that the implied constant ##C## depends on ##\epsilon##. See this link and the Wikipedia link there for more information.

• Informative
Likes dextercioby and Swamp Thing
Thanks. Another quick question: When we read "for ##\epsilon>0## ", does it imply ##\epsilon<1## even if that's not stated? I mean specifically when talking about big-O to the power of ##\epsilon## ?.

I haven't seen it either, I think. My interpretation would be: ##f(t)## is small compared to ##g(t)^\varepsilon ## for suitable ##\varepsilon ,## e.g. probably "any ##\varepsilon >0.##

Anyway, it is used for the first time in whatever you read. This is the context you need to answer your question.

Likes malawi_glenn
I think the same as fresh, that is is a "conditional" much less than. In this case, for a suitable ##\varepsilon##.

I think I have seen it been used in "mathematical methods for physics" books, but I can not think of a title right of the bat.

Swamp Thing said:
Another quick question: When we read "for ##\epsilon>0## ", does it imply ##\epsilon<1## even if that's not stated?
Yes, in most cases. The inequality ##\epsilon>0## is almost universally meant to convey the idea the ##\epsilon## is a small, positive number.
Swamp Thing said:
I mean specifically when talking about big-O to the power of ##\epsilon## ?.
This doesn't make any sense. The "big O" business is applied to some function; e.g., O(f(x)).

Likes Swamp Thing
Mark44 said:
This doesn't make any sense. The "big O" business is applied to some function; e.g., O(f(x)).
Sorry, that was sloppy language. I meant big-O applied to some f(x) that involves something raised to ##\epsilon##

1. What is the meaning of f(t) subscripted to g(t) epsilon?

Subscripted notation in mathematics signifies a function within another function. In this case, f(t) is the main function and g(t) is a sub-function. The epsilon symbol (ε) indicates that the output of g(t) is an element of the set of possible values for f(t).

2. How is f(t) subscripted to g(t) epsilon different from regular function notation?

Regular function notation, such as f(x), indicates that the input is a variable (x) and the output is a single value (f(x)). Subscripted notation adds an additional layer of complexity by indicating that the output of the sub-function (g(t)) is a possible value for the main function (f(t)).

3. What does the epsilon symbol (ε) represent in this notation?

The epsilon symbol (ε) represents the relationship between the main function and the sub-function. It indicates that the output of the sub-function is a possible value for the main function.

4. Can you give an example of f(t) subscripted to g(t) epsilon?

An example of this notation could be f(x) = x2 subscripted to g(x) = 2x. In this case, the output of g(x) (2x) is an element of the set of possible values for f(x) (x2). So, f(x) = 4 subscripted to g(x) = 2 is a valid example.

5. How is f(t) subscripted to g(t) epsilon used in scientific research?

This notation is commonly used in mathematical models and equations to represent complex relationships between different variables. It allows scientists to express the idea that the output of one function is a possible value for another function, which is often the case in scientific experiments and studies.