Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

With information transmission speed max, is universe truly fragmented?

1. Jun 24, 2013 #1
    For some reason I find it hard to comprehend that at the natural base level of existence (whatever that means), that the information-scape (all the stuff that is happening throughout space) is totally fragmented from each other, except of course for the "slow" transmission of information to neighbors via electromagnetic radiation and other info transmission modes. My gut just tells me that there has to be, at some foundational level, information unification of all these parts of the universe, with no fragmenting temporal delays. Thoughts? What say you, unified or fractured?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2013 #2

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Everything we know as of now is consistent with complete causal separation between events not in each other's light cones. Even quantum entanglement is not realized until there is an event in the future light cones of both entangled measurements. Any beliefs beyond this (e.g. an unknowable absolute connectedness or simultaneity) are philosophy, not science unless some observation inconsistent with conventional special relativity occurs.

4. Jun 24, 2013 #3
    :confused: I Googled Information Unification, my only thought about the post is confusion.

5. Jun 25, 2013 #4
    Thanks PAllen. That's what I suspected, that based on our observations, the universe works purely on a system of limited information propagation. So I guess if say there was a brief solar flare, there would be a region of the universe, that extends out behind say the earth at that general time to infinity, that is essentially in a totally separate parallel universe to that solar event, being that the earth blocked that information transmission (mostly in the form of radiation and energetic particles). Strange thought.

6. Jun 25, 2013 #5
    Hehe, I'm guessing your Google search didn't find much, being that such unification apparently doesn't exist.

7. Jun 25, 2013 #6
    lol nope, just business IT solutions :smile:

8. Jun 25, 2013 #7

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not quite. I should really say 'null cones' rather than light cones. They are a structure of spacetime. Blockage by earth is not a feature of causal structure. For one thing, neutrinos go right through the earth.

You can google "many fingered time" for one of several philosophic approaches dealing with the apparent nature of the universe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook