1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Withdrawing from classes

1. Oct 18, 2012 #1
    im currently taking a 1st semester calc based physics class, basically just mechanics
    i have an upcoming exam next friday, and depending on how well i do, ive considered dropping if i do really bad
    im a math major at a CC and ive talked to a university representative about withdrawals and admissions
    she told me that they only care for transferable units and GPA, since math isnt impacted i shouldnt worry about getting W's
    however im also considering grad school (maybe just a masters degree) in the future, and well my question is how bad do W's look when applying to grad school? do they also look at my CC transcript?

im still going to study hard for my exam to bring my grade up, but if it doesnt work out, i really dont want to lower my GPA

any input is appreciated, thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2012 #2
    One W doesn't look too bad. I don't see them holding it against you as long as you do well on your GREs and have a good overall GPA. Also, recommendations are a big thing as well... so if you got those, they won't even notice the W.

4. Oct 19, 2012 #3
    well i forgot to mention it would be my 4th
    the other three are from philosophy, humanities, and english courses, so if i do take another one then itll be from a course that'll be more related to my major
    will it still matter a lot even though they arent part of my major?

5. Oct 19, 2012 #4
    In my experience, withdrawals on your CC transcript do not matter at all. My CC had the ridiculous policy of giving W for courses that I would drop before the semester even began. One semester I had 4 withdrawals because I changed my schedule around and had to drop all of the classes for which I had signed up. I still took most of them, however, just at different times. Therefore for that semester I have 3 Ws for the same classes for which I have 3 As.

Probably, too much detail... The point is, no, as far as I've seen CC Ws are meaningless. University Ws are a different story.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook