Exploring the Role of Gravitation in the Evolution of Our Universe

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravitation
In summary, gravity is the most important force at large distances, without it everything would break down. Without gravity, there would be no inflation, no galaxy formation, no expansion of spacetime, no stars, no planets, no life.
Loren Booda
How would our universe have evolved without gravitation, and how so would the universe appear at present? Does such a situation somehow differentiate the possible perspectives of spacetime with or without compactified dimensions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start at the beginning - define gravity and its cause.

Well I guess electromagnetism would be the dominant force, there would be no large systems, only ones closer down to electromagnetism's scale.

Opposite charges would clump together instead of just masses.

I have heard that the gravity is an interdimensional quality.

And I that it may be an intradimensional quality.

Our universe wouldn't have evolved without gravity.

masudr,
Our universe wouldn't have evolved without gravity.
Please elucidate.

Hi Loren,

If you turned off gravity right now, the solar system would disperse and the sun would explode. Galaxies would fall apart and spacetime would cease to be dynamic. Gravity is the most important force at large distances, without it everything would break down. What masudr probably means is that universe would be a boring place if gravity had never existed. No inflation, no galaxy formation, no expansion of spacetime, no stars, no planets, no life. Everything is probably very hot and symmetric and dull. At least that's a rough picture of how I see it, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Is inflation gravity-driven?

Inflation isn't driven by gravity per se, in the simplest models one has a single field called the inflaton that drives inflation. However, inflation wouldn't be possible without gravity since inflation is the rapid expansion of spacetime. Dynamic spacetime is essentially what gravity is.

Extending that argument, since E-M (Maxwell's equations) involve relativity, would it not exist without spacetime? Could a universe of dark matter, or any matter, exist in a purely Euclidean space?

Well, Maxwell's equations are relativistic, but they don't necessarily require gravity to function. So no gravity just means spacetime is flat and doesn't have any dynamics, but one can still have electromagnetism on flat space. More interestingly, if the forces are unified, parhaps in the way the string theorists suggest, then it may indeed be impossible to have electromagnetism without gravity. We currently believe, for instance, that it is impossible to have electromagnetism without the weak force (since they are unified in the Standard Model).

Well, I've been gone several months. I see most of you are still here. Anyway, I was simply going to answer Loren with, "No, nothing would have evolved without gravity" and be done with it. However the last post reminded me of a question I have that no one has been able or willing to answer.
Physics Monkey brings up a very interesting thought; "Can energy, in and of itself, exist without the presence of mass?" Gravity "Is" the most important force as one of you mentioned. "It is" an electromagnetic force, akin to what holds the atom together. I know their somehow inheirently different. If someone here can explain exactly what the difference is and why the two can't be unified I'd apprieciate it. If flat space can harbor "energy" then doesn't that lend some credence to the theory that all mass came from pure energy? And one more thing before I go; won't all matter eventually be converted back to energy via Black Hole processing. Shouldn't everything revert back to a flat one dimensional space occupied only be energy once more?
L8R

Reminds me - from my website,
Consider, a problem in quantum geometrodynamics: the evolution of a zero curvature geodesic manifold in a massless, macroscopically uniform vacuum potential.

What is gravitation and how does it play a role in the evolution of our universe?

Gravitation is the natural phenomenon by which physical bodies with mass are attracted to each other. In the context of the universe, gravitation plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies, stars, and other celestial bodies. This is because the gravitational force between these objects causes them to come together and form larger structures, such as galaxies and galaxy clusters.

How does the theory of general relativity explain the role of gravitation in the universe's evolution?

The theory of general relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, describes the force of gravitation as a curvature in the fabric of spacetime. This means that massive objects, such as planets and stars, cause a distortion in the fabric of spacetime, which in turn affects the motion of other objects in their vicinity. This theory has been instrumental in our understanding of the formation and evolution of the universe, as it explains how gravity affects the movement of celestial bodies.

What evidence supports the role of gravitation in the evolution of our universe?

There is a wealth of evidence that supports the role of gravitation in the evolution of the universe. One of the most compelling pieces of evidence is the observation of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the early universe. This radiation is anisotropic, meaning it is not evenly distributed, and its patterns can be explained by the gravitational effects of matter in the universe. Additionally, the observed rotation and movement of galaxies and galaxy clusters also provide evidence for the role of gravitation in shaping the universe.

How does the expansion of the universe relate to the role of gravitation?

The expansion of the universe is another phenomena that is influenced by gravitation. According to the theory of general relativity, the amount of matter and energy in the universe determines its rate of expansion. This means that the stronger the gravitational pull of matter, the slower the expansion of the universe. As the universe continues to expand, the effects of gravitation will become more pronounced, eventually leading to the collapse and reformation of the universe.

What are some current research efforts focused on exploring the role of gravitation in the evolution of our universe?

There are various ongoing research efforts aimed at further understanding the role of gravitation in the evolution of our universe. Some scientists are studying the behavior of dark matter, a mysterious substance that is thought to make up a significant portion of the universe's mass and plays a crucial role in the formation of galaxies. Others are exploring the possibility of alternative theories of gravity, such as modified Newtonian dynamics (MOND), which could provide a better understanding of the universe's expansion and the behavior of gravity on a larger scale.