"Understanding WKB Theory and Approximation

• Thread starter nukestrom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory Wkb
In summary: I will try to google for the 'dominant balance' method and look for these books in the library. Do you know where I can find a good introduction to quantum mechanics?Thanks for your input.
nukestrom
WKB theory?? Pls help

Homework Statement

WKB theory and WKB approximation. Are they same??

Homework Equations

I have to do a presentation about WKB theory in Physics (Quantum mechanics) but I don't know how to start from the WKB theory and come to WKB approximation. i.e. I don't find a direct connection. I know WKB theory is a method of solving differential equation but I do not know how to use it to solve any differential (well..2nd order) equation. It means I do not understand what WKB theory is (the basics) :( :(

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to google and find the answer but did find a good explanation. I greatly appreciate if you can help me to understand this issue as this is vital to pass this course. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

nukestrom said:
WKB theory and WKB approximation. Are they same??

I tried to google and find the answer but did find a good explanation.

Hi nukestrom! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Googling is not a good phsycics research strategy.

Wikipedia is usually helpful, so best to start there … if you can't find anything on PF first, of course :wink:.

hmm … if you type "WKB theory" into wikipedia, you get the "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WKB_theory" " page …

so I reckon they're the same! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

tiny-tim said:
Hi nukestrom! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Googling is not a good phsycics research strategy.

Wikipedia is usually helpful, so best to start there … if you can't find anything on PF first, of course :wink:.

hmm … if you type "WKB theory" into wikipedia, you get the "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WKB_theory" " page …

so I reckon they're the same! :biggrin:

Thanks for your reply. I greatly appreciate it.

yes i did. I used wikipedia but their argument is not clear. They have proven it from few lines. As an example they have not explained "dominant balance" method which is essential to explain WKB. So wikipidea is good for expert but I want to learn basics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried googling for

"dominant balance" +WKB

(with the quotes marks)?

It should give you some google.books as well. :smile:

And searching this forum for "dominant balance" (again with quotes) gave 6 hits.

(I've never done WKB, so I'm afraid I can't help you any further.)

The WKB method is also sometimes called the W.K.B. method, or WKBJ, or even Liouville-Green. All I know is that it is an asymptotic technique used to determine large eigenvalues for oscillation solutions of differential equations. Maybe this extra information helps when googling for information.
Actually, I just looked it up in a PDE book by Haberman, and he refers to (after making implicit use of WKB) to Bender and Orszag (1999), Kevorkian and Cole (1996) and Nayfeh (2002), maybe your university library has these books.

tiny-tim said:
Have you tried googling for

"dominant balance" +WKB

(with the quotes marks)?

It should give you some google.books as well. :smile:

And searching this forum for "dominant balance" (again with quotes) gave 6 hits.

(I've never done WKB, so I'm afraid I can't help you any further.)

Its Ok. Thanks anyway

Sjorris said:
The WKB method is also sometimes called the W.K.B. method, or WKBJ, or even Liouville-Green. All I know is that it is an asymptotic technique used to determine large eigenvalues for oscillation solutions of differential equations. Maybe this extra information helps when googling for information.
Actually, I just looked it up in a PDE book by Haberman, and he refers to (after making implicit use of WKB) to Bender and Orszag (1999), Kevorkian and Cole (1996) and Nayfeh (2002), maybe your university library has these books.

Thanks for your info. Yes, I use Orszag and got an idea about Dominant Balance method. But the transition (WKB theory) from the mathematical concept to quantum mechanical aspects is still not clear.
Thats the problem.

Thanks again for your info.

What is WKB theory?

WKB theory, also known as the Wentzel-Kramers-Brillouin theory, is a mathematical approach used to find approximate solutions to certain types of differential equations. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics and wave propagation.

How does WKB theory work?

WKB theory uses a series expansion technique to approximate solutions to differential equations. It divides the solution into different scales, with each scale being described by a different mathematical function. These functions are then combined to form an approximate solution.

What is the purpose of WKB approximation?

WKB approximation is used to simplify complex differential equations and make them more manageable to solve. It is also used to find approximate solutions to equations that are difficult or impossible to solve exactly.

What are the limitations of WKB theory?

WKB theory is only applicable to certain types of differential equations, such as those with oscillatory behavior. It also assumes that the solution is slowly varying, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation decreases as the order of the solution increases.

How is WKB theory related to quantum mechanics?

WKB theory is commonly used in quantum mechanics to approximate the wave function of a particle in a potential well. It is also used to solve the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum systems. WKB theory has been instrumental in our understanding of quantum mechanics and has been used to make many important predictions.