Which University is the Better Choice for a B.S. in Physics: WKU or UK?

• Thread starter cleve1970
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics Uk
In summary, the speaker has narrowed down their choices for a B.S. in Physics to Western Kentucky University and University of Kentucky. They are 43 years old and will complete their AS at a community college. They are passionate about Physics and Math, but had to retrain their brain in math. They will finish College Algebra and Trig before transferring. They are considering factors such as math requirements, class schedules, research opportunities, and course sequencing in their decision. The speaker currently attends WKU for Electrical Engineering but believes UK may be a better choice for Physics due to the lack of physics majors and limited course offerings at WKU. They also mention that the job prospects for engineers are better than for physics majors. They advise always choosing a bigger
cleve1970
I have narrowed my choices down to 2 schools to continue my path to a B.S. in Physics. I am 43 years old and will complete my AS at the local community college. I am very passionate about Physics and Math , however since I haven't used math in 20 years I had to retrain my brain in math. I will finish College Algebra and Trig by the time I am ready to transfer. The choices are Western Kentucky University or University of Kentucky. Seems like UK math requirements are Calculus I-IV then Matrix Algebra, WKU makes you take Calculus I & II, but then breaks their math classes up into courses like Linear Algebra, Multi-variable Algebra, etc. I like both schools, but the three year plans are tight and when I go into the WKU class schedule seems they are lacking in the number of sections that they offer, and time conflicts are an issue, where UK seems to offer more sections in things like University Physics and some of the math classes. I am wanting to continue on after my B.S. in Physics to eventually attain a masters then a PhD in Astrophysics. UK seems to have more research money but the only professor doing any Astrophysics related research is on the subject of Black Holes, but would have to compete with grad students for research slots. WKU has more astronomy contacts with Kitt Peak Observatory, and they have more undergrad opportunities with little to no graduates attending but not as much research money. Also WKU requires Calculus I to be completed before taking University Physics while UK you can be enrolled concurrently in Calc I and take University Physics.

Just looking for anything I may have overlooked. Would there be an advantage to going to UK with the it being well-known, or would the WKU setup be more advantageous. I know I am behind in math but I'm not going to let that hinder my dreams.

Physics news on Phys.org
I actually am currently going to WKU for Electrical Engineering. It's a great school, but honestly for physics you are probably better off going to UK if you don't mind the higher price tag. The problem with physics at WKU is that it is that there are no physics majors. The department is shrinking very quickly.

I just got done with Calculus based Physics 2 (Physics 265 at wku) which is a course all the hard science and engineering majors have to take, physics majors included. There were two classes for Phy 265 this semester, each with about 30-35 students. So somewhere between 60-70 total. Not one of them were majoring in physics. Everybody was either in engineering programs, chemistry or a few from other fields like math or geology.

I talked to one of the physics professors about this once and he said that over the past few years, due to the economy, everybody that would have otherwise have gone into physics is going into engineering. The job prospects for engineers are much more promising than for physics majors and so the engineering department has the largest group of students yet, and the physics department has virtually no students.

This will make it hard for you to get into a lot of physics classes that you need as they will not be offered unless there are enough students to make it worth teaching. Even a lot of the lower level physics classes that are required only for physics majors are not offered on a regular basis.

Note, I am not disparaging WKU's program itself. They have a great faculty, and a good astronomy department. They have a lot of astrophysicists there, and the few physics majors I know are all getting to do independent research projects even as undergrads with lots of assistance from experienced faculty and access to good equipment. The only real problem is that the department just doesn't have many students at all.

I say that unless you have a special reason to go to the smaller school, always go to the bigger research university. I can see no advantage to going to a school with limited physics options. Grad students from those small schools are always at a disadvantage.

I wouldn't worry about "competing with grad students for spots," because undergraduate research is different in, among other things, funding.

Professors love working with students (usually), and if you offer to work for free or until he has some funding for you, it'll make it easier to get started.

1. What is the difference between WKU Physics and UK Physics?

WKU Physics and UK Physics are both programs offered by different universities. The main difference lies in the curriculum, faculty, and research opportunities. WKU Physics may have a stronger focus on certain areas of physics, while UK Physics may have a different research emphasis. It is important to research and compare both programs to determine which one aligns with your interests and goals.

2. Is one program better than the other?

Neither WKU Physics nor UK Physics is inherently better than the other. Both universities have reputable physics programs and it ultimately depends on the individual's needs and preferences. Consider factors such as location, cost, and research opportunities to determine which program is the best fit for you.

3. Can I transfer between WKU Physics and UK Physics?

It is possible to transfer between WKU Physics and UK Physics, but it is not guaranteed. Transferring between universities may require meeting certain criteria and approval from both institutions. It is important to consult with academic advisors and the respective universities for more information on the transfer process.

4. Are there any notable alumni from WKU Physics or UK Physics?

Both WKU Physics and UK Physics have produced successful alumni in various fields, including research, academia, and industry. Some notable alumni from WKU Physics include Dr. Brian Albrecht, who is a research scientist at NASA, and Dr. W. John Cocke, who received the Turing Award for his contributions to computer science. Some notable alumni from UK Physics include Dr. Samuel Goudsmit, who co-discovered the electron spin, and Dr. Mary L. Good, who was the first woman to receive the National Medal of Science.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of WKU Physics or UK Physics?

Graduates of WKU Physics and UK Physics have a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, education, engineering, and technology. Some specific job titles may include physicist, research scientist, data analyst, and software engineer. It is important to note that additional education and experience may be required for certain positions.