WMAP Data for l(l+1)Cl/2pi vs. l Plotting

In summary, the WMAP (Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe) data is used to create a plot of l(l+1)Cl/2pi vs. l, where l is the angular scale of temperature fluctuations in the cosmic microwave background radiation. This plot is important for studying the large-scale structure of the universe and determining cosmological parameters such as the density of dark matter and dark energy. The data is obtained from the WMAP satellite, which observed the cosmic microwave background from 2001 to 2010, and is widely used by scientists in the field of cosmology. By plotting l(l+1)Cl/2pi vs. l, researchers can analyze the fluctuations in the cosmic microwave background and gain insights into
S.P.P
I'd like to compare some models of mine against results from WMAP. Is there anywhere I can get the data, l(l+1) Cl / 2pi as a function of l? I see plenty of images of the TT, TE power spectra with error bars on them from WMAP, but can't seem to find the data. Ideally I'd like to plot my models on the same graph as the WMAP model.

Space news on Phys.org
S.P.P said:
I'd like to compare some models of mine against results from WMAP. Is there anywhere I can get the data, l(l+1) Cl / 2pi as a function of l? I see plenty of images of the TT, TE power spectra with error bars on them from WMAP, but can't seem to find the data. Ideally I'd like to plot my models on the same graph as the WMAP model.
http://lambda.gsfc.nasa.gov has everything you need.

Last edited by a moderator:

S.P.P said:
No problem ;) If you have any questions on the analysis let me know. This is actually my current field of study :)

1. What is the purpose of the "WMAP Data for l(l+1)Cl/2pi vs. l Plotting" graph?

The "WMAP Data for l(l+1)Cl/2pi vs. l Plotting" graph is used to plot the angular power spectrum of the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation, as measured by the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) satellite. It shows the variation in temperature fluctuations of the CMB at different angular scales, or multipoles (l). This data is important for understanding the structure and evolution of the universe.

2. How is the data for the "WMAP Data for l(l+1)Cl/2pi vs. l Plotting" graph collected?

The data for the "WMAP Data for l(l+1)Cl/2pi vs. l Plotting" graph is collected by the WMAP satellite, which measures the temperature of the CMB at different points in the sky. This data is then analyzed and converted into a power spectrum, which represents the amplitude of temperature fluctuations at different angular scales.

3. What is the significance of the l(l+1)Cl/2pi vs. l plot in cosmology?

The l(l+1)Cl/2pi vs. l plot is significant in cosmology because it helps us understand the distribution of matter and energy in the universe. The slope of the plot, known as the "tilt," can give us information about the inflationary period of the universe and the density of matter and energy. It also allows us to test different cosmological models and theories.

4. How does the "WMAP Data for l(l+1)Cl/2pi vs. l Plotting" graph support the Big Bang theory?

The "WMAP Data for l(l+1)Cl/2pi vs. l Plotting" graph provides strong evidence for the Big Bang theory. It shows the presence of temperature fluctuations in the CMB, which are predicted by the theory. These fluctuations are believed to be remnants of density variations in the early universe, which eventually gave rise to the large-scale structures we see today. The overall shape and distribution of these fluctuations also match the predictions of the Big Bang theory.

5. How often is the "WMAP Data for l(l+1)Cl/2pi vs. l Plotting" graph updated?

The "WMAP Data for l(l+1)Cl/2pi vs. l Plotting" graph is no longer being updated as the WMAP satellite mission ended in 2010. However, the data is still used in current cosmological research and is often compared to more recent data collected by other satellites, such as the Planck satellite. Newer versions of the plot may be created as new data becomes available and our understanding of the universe evolves.