Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

WMAP Data Revisited

1. Jul 28, 2009 #1

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is interesting: http://arxiv.org/abs/0907.2731 ... Apparently there could have been a systematic error in the WMAP temperature maps.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2009 #2

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Well, I was looking over this with a friend last week, and we generally agree: the paper is very light on details, not well-written, and generally lacking in overall rigor. It leaves the impression that they didn't put enough work into the research to really show what they claim to show.

And the thing that worries me is that I'm pretty sure that a number of independent groups have done map making on the WMAP timelines, and it seems rather unlikely to me that they all would have made the same mistake (this paper claims that the error isn't in the algorithm, as they claim to replicate the WMAP team's mapmaking algorithm, but rather in the implementation).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook