Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wolf Spider

1. May 9, 2006 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Found this beauty in my boss's basement this afternoon. It may be the biggest spider I've seen outside of a zoo. That's a door he's standing on. It is 1 3/4" wide, making him about 3x5", with his body about 1x1/2". I printed out a copy of the pic with the words "feed me" above it, to leave on the desk of one of my more arachnaphobic coworkers.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Cripes! I'd be grabbing a shotgun if that thing ever showed up my my house. :surprised

4. May 9, 2006 #3

Astronuc

Nice spider! We have similar ones in our garden. Most that size are of the huntsman variety. I had a female lay several hundred eggs in my raspberry plants. Good for insect control.

5. May 9, 2006 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Gorgeous!

Presume you meant "cm." Oh, well, NASA's got plenty more money for Mars probes.

6. May 9, 2006 #5

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl: ......

7. May 9, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yikes! I ran into one or two that size when I lived in Cincinnati. *shudders* They do have a substantial survival advantage over the smaller spiders...they're way too big to squish! :surprised I had to chase it out the back door with a broom (and then take a shower...I get really girly around spiders and am perfectly willing to turn over spider extermination tasks to a man...or anyone else willing to deal with them...I don't care how they are gotten rid of, just get them out of the house...squish 'em, flush 'em, vacuum 'em, or relocate them outside...whatever as long as I'm not the one doing it...I don't even know why since I used to be happy to play with them as a child).

8. May 9, 2006 #7

russ_watters

Uh, no. Inches. Ya, it really that big.

edit: Actually, measuring it off the computer screen and scaling (it is about 1.75x lifesize on the screen), it looks like it is more like 2.5"x3.5". I have another pic with him next to a power receptacle and he is almost the same size as the receptacle faceplate (3x4).

So I exaggerated a little. (or maybe they just look bigger when you are staring them in the eyessssssss).

If I see him tomorrow, I'll ask if he'll stand still for a measurement...

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  9. May 9, 2006 #8
    eeecckkkkkkkkkkkkkk {faints}

10. May 9, 2006 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you squash a spider that size, I'd guess you'd get about an ounce of goo. That'd be a hell of a mess.

- Warren

11. May 9, 2006 #10
    Whew, that thing is huge! That would scare the hell out of me :eek:

12. May 9, 2006 #11

Astronuc

My family members don't like spiders, so I have to carry them outside. :biggrin:

13. May 9, 2006 #12

Evo

Well, I swear I had a wolf spider the size of a dinner plate outside next to my heat pump and a neighbor had to come kill it with a shovel because the children were all screaming.

My friend, the spider expert, says "no". :frown:

I saw it.

Big as a dinner plate. :surprised

He says "no". :frown:

14. May 9, 2006 #13

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Capture it and keep it as a pet. Spiders make loyal companions and you can spend many happy hours with one curled up snugly inside your lap in front of the fireplace.

15. May 10, 2006 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, that dispels the myth that all furry things are cute and cuddly. :yuck:

I think I need another shower to get rid of the buggy feeling this thread is giving me.

Actually, my front entry is currently a spider battleground. :bugeye: I don't know where they suddenly came from. They weren't there one day, and the next there's about 2 dozen spiders living there...or their dead bodies left under the other spiders' webs. :yuck: I'm still contemplating whether I should vacuum them or leave the existing ones to catch any new ones trying to get in. It's the big, brown, predatory ones that make it up the stairs and into the living room that I don't like. They don't have webs, they hunt! :cry:

16. May 10, 2006 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I'd take ten spiders over one giant centipede. Giant centipedes make me do the Girly Dance of Wiggliness, usally because I'm, like, 6 inches away from them when I spot them (on the bedroom wall next to my face, on the handtowel in the bathroom that I'm reaching for). yyyYYYyyyYyYYIGG!!!!

Within the last week, I've had to squish two of them in my house that are better than 3 inches long.

Attached Files:

17. May 10, 2006 #16

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Uh --- you caught him on the edge of the door --- door's 1 3/4" thick --- the smaller dimension matches --- ?????

18. May 10, 2006 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, men have been known to exaggerate the size of things. :biggrin:

"The one that got away was THIS big!" What did you think I meant? Get your mind out of the gutter! :devil:

(I'm guessing the difference is when the spider is standing up walking vs. resting all stretched out.)

Yeah, thanks for adding centipedes to the creepy crawlies around here. Though, since I don't live with giant centipedes around, so the only versions I've seen have been preserved and set out for display in a glass dish, I don't mind them nearly so much (except when you get a small, zippy one running around the bedroom ceiling at night...if nobody ever told me they bite, I'd be perfectly content to just watch them, because they're pretty funny looking to me...though, probably wouldn't be thrilled to find one sitting on my washcloth in the morning. :yuck:)

19. May 10, 2006 #18

Astronuc

Some of those guys have nasty bites, and a quite poisonous. I usually catch them and put them outside. I have only found them in the basement.

20. May 10, 2006 #19
    Ughhh I hate spiders. We always used to get those massive balloon spiders in our garage, those things creeped me out so bad. In the old house we used to live in snakes would get in through the basement. One day my mom got out of the shower and reached for a towel off the rack and there was a snake on it......she totally freaked out lol.

21. May 10, 2006 #20

Evo

I will never enter my basement again. I will never shower again. :frown:

See what you did!!!! :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?