Woman vs. Woman

  • Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
  • #26
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
dduardo said:
Woman vs. Woman = Cat Fight

Hmm...then what do you call all the PF women vs. dduardo? :devil: :rofl:
 
  • #27
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,527
29
Moonbear said:
Hmm...then what do you call all the PF women vs. dduardo? :devil: :rofl:
Women vs. Penguin? :smile:
 
  • #28
55
10
woman vs woman = a whole lotta fun (especially in mud).

But i think i know what you mean, i work in a garage and the girls that work the front desk are always trying to better the other. They get along quite well but they always try to outdo each other with the shirts they where, how much cleavage they can show or who can wear the tighter trousers. But i think its a good thing cos it makes my day a hell of alot more fun.
 
Last edited:
  • #29
fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
751
4
Moonbear said:
Nope, those are all supposed to have a period after them too; it signifies it is an abbreviation.

Perhaps another cultural division, the dictioary here says differently.
 
  • #30
quasar987 said:
I think about blond twins in their underwear pillow-fighting.
thats why I clicked on this thread. (to my dissapointment) :biggrin:
 
  • #31
Danger
Gold Member
9,607
249
fi said:
Perhaps another cultural division, the dictioary here says differently.
Your 'location' indicator says London. What the hey dictionary are you using? My beloved Oxford shows that the only proper abbreviations is vs.. (The second period is the end of my sentence.)
As for the cat-fight scenario... :surprised . One of the first things I learned in working at bars was to stay the hell away from them. It's no big deal to drag a couple of cowboys or rig-pigs apart, but if you try to get between 2 angry women you'll probably lose an eye or something even more important.
 
  • #32
Lisa!
Gold Member
612
96
dduardo said:
Woman vs. Woman = Cat Fight
Totally agree with you. Because we say oil war and we mean people start a war for oil. Now we say 'cat fight' because women usually fight each other because of men! :wink:
 
  • #33
96
0
Only when they don't know for sure whom they are fighting for ? :biggrin:
 
  • #34
1
0
dduardo said:
Woman vs. Woman = Cat Fight
dont say so becos im young 19 g, famous too
no fight for men
 
  • #35
Lisa!
Gold Member
612
96
Emieno said:
Only when they don't know for sure whom they are fighting for ? :biggrin:
Sure! If it would have a specific name, when they know whom they're fighting for. For exampleif they fight for dduardo :bugeye: , it would be a 'Penguin fight'! :wink:
 
  • #36
fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
751
4
Danger said:
Your 'location' indicator says London. What the hey dictionary are you using? My beloved Oxford shows that the only proper abbreviations is vs.. (The second period is the end of my sentence.)

:grumpy: I'm thinking your beloved Oxford must have let you down somehow, the couple I consulted don't have this. The latter has a rather fancy bullet point after every word listed in it, that you may have mistaken for a full stop. Using v. is the more accepted way (over vs) to abbreviate versus, used in the law courts.
It is in fact another difference between British English and American. British English considers words that omit middle letters rather than last letters as technically a contraction, not an abbreviation. I didn't realise that Americans do put full stops after these contractions, like Dr, Mr, St,.....
My apologies for being petty and pernickety in an otherwise fascinating thread. :smile:
 
  • #37
356
3
This is another one of those 'funner' arguments isn't it? "vs. IS a word!" "No, It's not!"
 
  • #38
Lisa!
Gold Member
612
96
fi said:
:grumpy: I'm thinking your beloved Oxford must have let you down somehow, the couple I consulted don't have this. The latter has a rather fancy bullet point after every word listed in it, that you may have mistaken for a full stop. Using v. is the more accepted way (over vs) to abbreviate versus, used in the law courts.
It is in fact another difference between British English and American. British English considers words that omit middle letters rather than last letters as technically a contraction, not an abbreviation. I didn't realise that Americans do put full stops after these contractions, like Dr, Mr, St,.....
My apologies for being petty and pernickety in an otherwise fascinating thread. :smile:
Man vs. man or British En vs. American En? Which name is suitable for this thread? :rolleyes:
 
  • #39
113
1
Dictionary.com says v. and vs. are both proper abbreviations. (In law cases, however, I've noticed only v. is used--perhaps this is for the sake of consistency.)
 
Last edited:
  • #40
356
3
Knavish said:
Dictionary.com says v. and vs. are both proper abbreviations. (In law cases, however, I've noticed only v. is used--perhaps this is for the sake of consistency.)
Yes but dictionary.com isn't an actual dictionary, it just links to a bunch of other online dictionaries for your ease-of-use. if you look under where it says 'vs.' you're notice the source is "The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition"
 
  • #41
113
1
And that's official enough for me..

Here's what Webster's says: "Spell out the word versus unless you're reporting game scores, when you would use vs.; when you're citing legal documents, use the abbreviation v."
 

Related Threads on Woman vs. Woman

  • Last Post
2
Replies
30
Views
6K
  • Last Post
Replies
10
Views
6K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
28
Views
5K
  • Last Post
Replies
11
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
10
Views
3K
Replies
17
Views
3K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
35
Views
11K
  • Last Post
Replies
9
Views
3K
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
1K
Top