Discussing the Impact of this Term

In summary: Why not? You say whatever you like and then you say not totake it serious! :devil: :grumpy: :rofl::biggrin: I think men also compete for women, although many men I have met never have had even a slightest chance to be attended by the the ones they are trying to draw attention. But they never give it up in despair, they look for other ways around to poke fun at it instead.
Lisa!
Gold Member
What do you think about this term?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's grammatically incorrect. Versus is abbreviated to either 'v.' or 'vs' but never 'vs.'.

And don't even get me started on the double subject nouns.

Smurf said:
It's grammatically incorrect. Versus is abbreviated to either 'v.' or 'vs' but never 'vs.'.
Something tells me that wasn't what she was asking about :smile: .

My It depends on the context.

Something just occurred to me: you could simply shorten this to "women." You wouldn't lose any information, and it's grammatically correct :smile: !

Edit: Added sign of sarcasm, before it was too late. please don't kill me

Last edited by a moderator:
Archon said:
Something tells me that wasn't what she was asking about :smile: .

My It depends on the context.
Well of course. I hate these treads where someone asks 'What do you think/what does this mean to you?" without giving any context for it. So I've resorted to pointing out technicalities and other completely-not-what-they-meant things.

Lisa! said:
What do you think about this term?
I think about blond twins in their underwear pillow-fighting.

What about this? I always see vs. as an abreviation for versus. You can check some sport site!

Anyway, I'll tell you later why I'm geting your ideas about that!

Smurf said:
Well of course. I hate these treads where someone asks 'What do you think/what does this mean to you?" without giving any context for it. So I've resorted to pointing out technicalities and other completely-not-what-they-meant things.
But this time you weren't true about them. At first I wanted to give you the context like what I always do. But you know people just get stuck on that specific context and it's not good. For example once I asked about 'how to give bad news' and I gave them an example of my friend's bf! I know I was guilty not to explain more about what I meant, but you know anyway it didn't help alot!
In this case I didn't say anything what I mean because I thought some people might say "it's not true at all"!

Lisa! said:
But this time you weren't true about them. At first I wanted to give you the context like what I always do. But you know people just get stuck on that specific context and it's not good. For example once I asked about 'how to give bad news' and I gave them an example of my friend's bf! I know I was guilty not to explain more about what I meant, but you know anyway it didn't help alot!
In this case I didn't say anything what I mean because I thought some people might say "it's not true at all"!
Maybe it's not true?

Smurf said:
Maybe it's not true?
Yeah, maybe. And how could I talk about an imaginary thing? So first I neeed to ask if there's such a thing.

Go here Lisa:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/78479

loseyourname said:
Go here Lisa:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/78479

Great! But I didn't mean that!
It's not strange if men could get along with women better than women with women.But it seems that some women couldn't stand another woman at all. Lots of my freinds(female ones of course) say that they can't get along with their female colleagues at all. And they treat each other like enemies.
I noticed that women are quite easygoing about what they hear from a man but if a woman tell them something, they always take it so serious and think she's trying to spoil them...

My older sister worked with her colleague for over 10 years but never recognized that he was a gay till the day she said she loved him. We call it *woman x gaymale*

It's probably an evolutionary thing. Women are natural competitors. They compete for men to have their children. Men don't have the same problem because they're perfectly willing to share women - once they've impregnated one, she's free game to the larger population again.

(Note: Please don't take this with complete seriousness.)

loseyourname said:
It's probably an evolutionary thing. Women are natural competitors. They compete for men to have their children. Men don't have the same problem because they're perfectly willing to share women - once they've impregnated one, she's free game to the larger population again.

(Note: Please don't take this with complete seriousness.)

Why not? You say whatever you like and then you say not totake it serious! :devil: :grumpy: :rofl:

:biggrin: I think men also compete for women, although many men I have met never have had even a slightest chance to be attended by the the ones they are trying to draw attention.
But they never give it up in despair, they look for other ways around to poke fun at it instead. Why ? just that Man is always selfish in love...Take it seriously please...
:biggrin:

Am I on crack or something? What in the hell are you all talking about? I see "Woman vs. Woman", the exact same word vs itself.

mattmns said:
Am I on crack or something? What in the hell are you all talking about? I see "Woman vs. Woman", the exact same word vs itself.
:rofl: :rofl: No smarty. 2 people with the same sex vs each other!

Smurf said:
Is that Canadian grammar, or Microsoft Grammar Check grammar? Abbreviations should be followed by a period, and vs. is an acceptable abbreviation (I've only seen v. used in court cases until recently; it's ambiguous because it can be an abbreviation for about 10 other things too, like verb). And I just confirmed this with Webster's.

I learned that, like Smurf has shown, that abbreviations that end with the same letter as the word ends do not have a full stop, like Dr, Mr, St .

Moonbear said:
Is that Canadian grammar, or Microsoft Grammar Check grammar? Abbreviations should be followed by a period, and vs. is an acceptable abbreviation (I've only seen v. used in court cases until recently; it's ambiguous because it can be an abbreviation for about 10 other things too, like verb). And I just confirmed this with Webster's.

Thanks. It helped alot. :smile:

Moonbear said:

:confused: Maybe these guys are abbreviating using the first 's' in 'versus' in their abbreviation. :smile:

Woman vs. Woman = Cat Fight

fi said:
I learned that, like Smurf has shown, that abbreviations that end with the same letter as the word ends do not have a full stop, like Dr, Mr, St .
Nope, those are all supposed to have a period after them too; it signifies it is an abbreviation.

dduardo said:

Hmm...then what do you call all the PF women vs. dduardo? :devil: :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Hmm...then what do you call all the PF women vs. dduardo? :devil: :rofl:
Women vs. Penguin? :smile:

woman vs woman = a whole lotta fun (especially in mud).

But i think i know what you mean, i work in a garage and the girls that work the front desk are always trying to better the other. They get along quite well but they always try to outdo each other with the shirts they where, how much cleavage they can show or who can wear the tighter trousers. But i think its a good thing cos it makes my day a hell of a lot more fun.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Nope, those are all supposed to have a period after them too; it signifies it is an abbreviation.

Perhaps another cultural division, the dictioary here says differently.

quasar987 said:
I think about blond twins in their underwear pillow-fighting.
thats why I clicked on this thread. (to my dissapointment) :biggrin:

fi said:
Perhaps another cultural division, the dictioary here says differently.
Your 'location' indicator says London. What the hey dictionary are you using? My beloved Oxford shows that the only proper abbreviations is vs.. (The second period is the end of my sentence.)
As for the cat-fight scenario... . One of the first things I learned in working at bars was to stay the hell away from them. It's no big deal to drag a couple of cowboys or rig-pigs apart, but if you try to get between 2 angry women you'll probably lose an eye or something even more important.

dduardo said:
Totally agree with you. Because we say oil war and we mean people start a war for oil. Now we say 'cat fight' because women usually fight each other because of men! :wink:

Only when they don't know for sure whom they are fighting for ? :biggrin:

dduardo said:
dont say so becos I am young 19 g, famous too
no fight for men

Emieno said:
Only when they don't know for sure whom they are fighting for ? :biggrin:
Sure! If it would have a specific name, when they know whom they're fighting for. For exampleif they fight for dduardo :bugeye: , it would be a 'Penguin fight'! :wink: