Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Women and painting: is it just me or do they really, really like it?

1. Jun 15, 2009 #1
    I'm noticing a pattern here. It seems to me that women love grabbing a roller and throwing some paint on the walls. Which I find appealing. It's a general stereotype I'm looking at as a possibility: guys tear down motors; women shop for shoes; guys go hunting; women dip brushes. This whole women painting thing is new to me, so am I seeing it right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2009 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just reading this makes me want spread out a drop cloth.

...masking tape...*drool*...

4. Jun 15, 2009 #3
    Ah, now I get it.

french+guy.jpg

41603338_7b795fbf0c.jpg

5. Jun 15, 2009 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never tried painting. I guess I don't know what I've been missing.

6. Jun 15, 2009 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm in the middle of painting the last room that desperately needed painting to get rid of hideous colors. I enjoy it. It's sort of relaxing because it's such a simple task to do that you can let your mind wander onto other things while doing it.

7. Jun 15, 2009 #6
    Just make sure you don't repaint a wall with a light color into the evening in a room with no adequate lighting...damnit

8. Jun 15, 2009 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How did you know that's what I'm doing? It's amazing how you think you've done a great job until you see it in the light of day the next morning. But, then, I expected to need two coats. :biggrin:

9. Jun 15, 2009 #8
    That was just my second mistake. The first mistake was suggesting that the color be chosen based on holding the color plate in partial shade to account for poor lighting, which somehow turned into me suggesting pastel pink instead of purple :uhh:

10. Jun 15, 2009 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LOL! The first time I ever painted a room, I ended up doing that. At least I'm female, so could get away with having pinkish walls. But I wanted just a light grayish-purple, not pink.

11. Jun 15, 2009 #10
    Is it possible that, more than painting in particular, women like re-decorating in general ?

12. Jun 15, 2009 #11
    Ya think?

13. Jun 15, 2009 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nah, what would give you that idea? o:) As I told my movers, just get the furniture into the right rooms, don't worry about where it is in the room, I'm going to spend the next 6 months pushing it around to find the right spots for it all anyway. :biggrin:

14. Jun 15, 2009 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Same here. That's what I told my boyfriend. Wait - I mean, my movers.

15. Jun 15, 2009 #14

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know several women who like to color childrens' coloring books when they're stressed, because it relaxes them. In a pretty direct way, painting a room is just the "grown up" version of coloring, ain't it?

- Warren

16. Jun 15, 2009 #15

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you just mistake your boyfriend for your mover, or your mover for your boyfriend? :rofl:

- Warren

17. Jun 16, 2009 #16
    But professional painters arent women... odd

18. Jun 16, 2009 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, I like to color to unstress too. Though, I've moved up from coloring books and started doing anatomical illustrations for work. I think it's any small project that does the trick. It's the same thing that makes stuff like lawnmowing or working on plumbing or any number of home repairs good stress relief. You can just focus entirely on that simple task that's all physical and not very mental and get out all your frustrations.

19. Jun 16, 2009 #18
    No. Painting a mural on a wall requires sanding the wall, laying out a design, and then painting. It's hard work, fun, and exhausting. Just painting a room is beginners' stuff unless the walls are 35 feet high.:tongue: Hire a painting contractor to do it.

I vote myself in as a Mentor. :approve:

20. Jun 16, 2009 #19
    Yes that is very true.:smile: Women tend to be more creative then the majority of men. Perhaps the reason for this is they are apt to change on the spin of a dime so to speak. Flexible and adaptive creatures tend to be a tad more creative in expression thus forth a comfort zone exists. The arts survive and pleasure is derived from such. :smile:

21. Jun 16, 2009 #20

neu

Men post pointless BS on the internet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook