News Women in combat (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Kerrie

Oregonian
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
What do you think of women in combat? After the rescue of Jessica Lynch, the female POW rescued the other day, I think women are very capable of combat as men are. I think if their training accomodated their strength (in comparison to men), they are perfectly able of handling the stress of war.

Besides, if we women want equal rights, then we have to have equal responsibilities:wink:

russ_watters

Mentor
Originally posted by Kerrie
I think if their training accomodated their strength (in comparison to men)
What exactly does that mean? Should we make lighter weapons so they are easier for women to carry?

I think its fine if a woman is in combat as long as she meets the EXACT same physical requirements as the men she fights alongside.

I have some personal experience in this that I'll add later.

Njorl

Guy in a red jumpsuit
Science Advisor
I think that if a woman can do the job, they should have the opportunity. It would not suprise me if there were some jobs that almost no women could do though. I believe combat infantry soldiers are expected to be able to march 30 miles a day with a 45 pound pack for several days in a row. It would not also suprise me if there were some jobs that women were better suited for than men. They tend to be smaller, and more reslient to long term temperature stresses than men. This might make them better tank crews.

If wars in the future will be like Iraq and Afghanistan, then it is clear that no positions will really be "non-combat".

Njorl

russ_watters

Mentor
Re: Re: Women in combat

Originally posted by Njorl
If wars in the future will be like Iraq and Afghanistan, then it is clear that no positions will really be "non-combat".

Njorl
The notion of a "non-combat" soldier has always been an oxymoron.

Kerrie

Oregonian
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Re: Re: Women in combat

Originally posted by russ_watters
What exactly does that mean? Should we make lighter weapons so they are easier for women to carry?

I think its fine if a woman is in combat as long as she meets the EXACT same physical requirements as the men she fights alongside.

I have some personal experience in this that I'll add later.
the exact same physical requirements are impossible for all women to meet...the exact mental requirements are possible, and possible for women to excel over men, especially under stressful situations...

lighter weapons proportional suited to them is what i was referring to, yes...

i think the example of jessica lynch's ability to fight and stay alive with the injuries she sustained is a great example of how well women can do...

Njorl

Guy in a red jumpsuit
Science Advisor
If the army thought lighter weapons were suitable for the job, then the male soldiers would have them, so they could carry more ammo, batteries and water. The requirements should not be different for males and females, but being male should not be a requirement.

Njorl

drag

Spectral Anomaly
Science Advisor
Greetings !
What do you think of women in combat? After the rescue of Jessica Lynch, the female POW rescued the other day,
She is from a maintaince unit.(Nothing more is
meant here other than the fact that in this
particular case the girl is not a fighter.)
I think women are very capable of combat as men are. I think if their training accomodated their strength (in comparison to men), they are perfectly able of handling the stress of war.

Besides, if we women want equal rights, then we have to have equal responsibilities:wink:
There can be no equality between different measures
of different qualities. Men and women differ from
each other and denying it is ridiculous.

Further more, since no man or woman is identical
to another there are always exceptions. This is
also the reason why there are women fighters in
some armies in the world.

In general though, when the average are compared -
men are just more fit for fighting. They are more
physicly fit and more mentally stable (more
determined and willing to fight and more headstrong
as well as less caring) in the particular kinds of
mental stability required for warfare.

This is no mere coincedence of course, evolutionary
speaking - men are born more adepted to fighting
because they are likely to do it due to
reasons that were once abvious and simple and
now mostly replaced by far more complicated ones.

Live long and prosper.

A

Alias

Re: Re: Re: Women in combat

the exact same physical requirements are impossible for all women to meet...

As they are impossible for some men to meet. These men wash out in training.

lighter weapons proportional suited to them is what i was referring to, yes...
It makes more sense to hold the women to the same physical standards as men, than to develop, purchase and maintain separate sets of equipment.

i think the example of jessica lynch's ability to fight and stay alive with the injuries she sustained is a great example of how well women can do...
She is certainly as heroic as any soldier in the armed forces, but did her physical strength play a significant role in her ability to fight or resist capture? If she had been held to the higher physical standards that men are, would the situation have turned out different?

drag

Spectral Anomaly
Science Advisor
Re: Re: Re: Women in combat

Greetings !
the exact mental requirements are possible, and possible for women to excel over men, especially under stressful situations...
Hum... Hum...
No offense, but this is ridiculous, Kerrie. It is
clear that you never had the unfortune of seeing
half open bodies with multiple bullet holes,
explosions or bullets shrieking near you.
And I truely wish you not to. :wink:

Again, there can be exceptions of course, but on
average there is no comparisson. Women are indeed
better than men in most stressful situations of modern
life. In the army females, for example, are
completely irreplacable in communications "war rooms"
- communicating, organizing and connecting between the
commanders and the forces in the field through
all the routine.

Women are also of course irrepelacable as secretaries
in any organization. Men are far too impatient
and ussualy deal far worse with the "office stress"
and burocroucy.

What I'm saying is that there are many different
types of stress and males/females can deal
better with some and worse with others.

Live long and prosper.

I think it took about 3 attempts to pass the test for the Green Beret, for what I believe is the only woman (thus far) to become a Royal Marine.

She still can't fight on the front line though.

Monique

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
OK Kerrie, I am all for equal rights, but how are all the women going to go through their period? Just repress it by medication? I sure wouldn't want to be in combat with PMS symptoms :P

Woman + wrong time of month + gun = dangerous

A

Alias

Oh boy! Mulder you are going to pay for that one!

N

N_Quire

There are menstruating women working as brain surgeons and no one is complaining. What's the difference between having scalpel and gun in your hand at the "wrong" time of the month? The menstruation argument is a red herring.

A

Alias

Originally posted by N_Quire
The menstruation argument is a red herring.
That's so funny, it should be illegal!

D

damgo

Just repress it by medication?
Maybe... if you are on birth control and just skip the placebo pills, that's what happens. Apparently it isn't medically harmful, and I know a few women who do it and swear up and down that it's the best thing ever.

A

Alias

Umm...If you know they are placebos, how can not taking them have an effect?

D

damgo

lol, I mean continuously take the real ones. There are a few days each month where the pills you are supposed to take are a different color... they are inactive and are just there to make it easier to stay in the routine, and not forget how many days they're supposed to wait.

OK, how is it that *I* am explaining birth control? What is wrong with this picture? :wink:

A

Alias

Well, I get it, but I thought for a moment you really didn't. Everythings okay now?:wink:

Z

Zero

The best shot I ever saw was a woman...and some of teh toughest people I know have been women. Further, I think that if a woman is going to reap the benefits of military service, she should bear the same responsibilities.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving