Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Women in combat

1. Apr 3, 2003 #1

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

What do you think of women in combat? After the rescue of Jessica Lynch, the female POW rescued the other day, I think women are very capable of combat as men are. I think if their training accomodated their strength (in comparison to men), they are perfectly able of handling the stress of war.

Besides, if we women want equal rights, then we have to have equal responsibilities:wink:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2003 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

What exactly does that mean? Should we make lighter weapons so they are easier for women to carry?

I think its fine if a woman is in combat as long as she meets the EXACT same physical requirements as the men she fights alongside.

I have some personal experience in this that I'll add later.

4. Apr 3, 2003 #3

Njorl

Science Advisor

I think that if a woman can do the job, they should have the opportunity. It would not suprise me if there were some jobs that almost no women could do though. I believe combat infantry soldiers are expected to be able to march 30 miles a day with a 45 pound pack for several days in a row. It would not also suprise me if there were some jobs that women were better suited for than men. They tend to be smaller, and more reslient to long term temperature stresses than men. This might make them better tank crews.

If wars in the future will be like Iraq and Afghanistan, then it is clear that no positions will really be "non-combat".

Njorl

5. Apr 3, 2003 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Re: Re: Women in combat

The notion of a "non-combat" soldier has always been an oxymoron.

6. Apr 3, 2003 #5

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Re: Re: Women in combat

the exact same physical requirements are impossible for all women to meet...the exact mental requirements are possible, and possible for women to excel over men, especially under stressful situations...

lighter weapons proportional suited to them is what i was referring to, yes...

i think the example of jessica lynch's ability to fight and stay alive with the injuries she sustained is a great example of how well women can do...

7. Apr 3, 2003 #6

Njorl

Science Advisor

If the army thought lighter weapons were suitable for the job, then the male soldiers would have them, so they could carry more ammo, batteries and water. The requirements should not be different for males and females, but being male should not be a requirement.

Njorl

8. Apr 3, 2003 #7

drag

Science Advisor

Greetings !
    She is from a maintaince unit.(Nothing more is
    meant here other than the fact that in this
    particular case the girl is not a fighter.)
    There can be no equality between different measures
    of different qualities. Men and women differ from
    each other and denying it is ridiculous.

Further more, since no man or woman is identical
    to another there are always exceptions. This is
    also the reason why there are women fighters in
    some armies in the world.

In general though, when the average are compared -
    men are just more fit for fighting. They are more
    physicly fit and more mentally stable (more
    determined and willing to fight and more headstrong
    as well as less caring) in the particular kinds of
    mental stability required for warfare.

This is no mere coincedence of course, evolutionary
    speaking - men are born more adepted to fighting
    because they are likely to do it due to
    reasons that were once abvious and simple and
    now mostly replaced by far more complicated ones.

Live long and prosper.

9. Apr 3, 2003 #8
    Re: Re: Re: Women in combat

As they are impossible for some men to meet. These men wash out in training.

It makes more sense to hold the women to the same physical standards as men, than to develop, purchase and maintain separate sets of equipment.

She is certainly as heroic as any soldier in the armed forces, but did her physical strength play a significant role in her ability to fight or resist capture? If she had been held to the higher physical standards that men are, would the situation have turned out different?

10. Apr 3, 2003 #9

drag

Science Advisor

Re: Re: Re: Women in combat

Greetings !
    Hum... Hum...
    No offense, but this is ridiculous, Kerrie. It is
    clear that you never had the unfortune of seeing
    half open bodies with multiple bullet holes,
    explosions or bullets shrieking near you.
    And I truely wish you not to. :wink:

Again, there can be exceptions of course, but on
    average there is no comparisson. Women are indeed
    better than men in most stressful situations of modern
    life. In the army females, for example, are
    completely irreplacable in communications "war rooms"
    - communicating, organizing and connecting between the
    commanders and the forces in the field through
    all the routine.

Women are also of course irrepelacable as secretaries
    in any organization. Men are far too impatient
    and ussualy deal far worse with the "office stress"
    and burocroucy.

What I'm saying is that there are many different
    types of stress and males/females can deal
    better with some and worse with others.

Live long and prosper.

11. Apr 3, 2003 #10
    I think it took about 3 attempts to pass the test for the Green Beret, for what I believe is the only woman (thus far) to become a Royal Marine.

She still can't fight on the front line though.

12. Apr 3, 2003 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK Kerrie, I am all for equal rights, but how are all the women going to go through their period? Just repress it by medication? I sure wouldn't want to be in combat with PMS symptoms :P

13. Apr 3, 2003 #12
    Woman + wrong time of month + gun = dangerous

14. Apr 3, 2003 #13
    Oh boy! Mulder you are going to pay for that one!

15. Apr 3, 2003 #14
    There are menstruating women working as brain surgeons and no one is complaining. What's the difference between having scalpel and gun in your hand at the "wrong" time of the month? The menstruation argument is a red herring.

16. Apr 3, 2003 #15
    That's so funny, it should be illegal!

17. Apr 3, 2003 #16
    Maybe... if you are on birth control and just skip the placebo pills, that's what happens. Apparently it isn't medically harmful, and I know a few women who do it and swear up and down that it's the best thing ever.

18. Apr 3, 2003 #17
    Umm...If you know they are placebos, how can not taking them have an effect?

19. Apr 3, 2003 #18
    lol, I mean continuously take the real ones. There are a few days each month where the pills you are supposed to take are a different color... they are inactive and are just there to make it easier to stay in the routine, and not forget how many days they're supposed to wait.

OK, how is it that *I* am explaining birth control? What is wrong with this picture? :wink:

20. Apr 3, 2003 #19
    Well, I get it, but I thought for a moment you really didn't. Everythings okay now?:wink:

21. Apr 3, 2003 #20
    The best shot I ever saw was a woman...and some of teh toughest people I know have been women. Further, I think that if a woman is going to reap the benefits of military service, she should bear the same responsibilities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?