Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Women in Science

1. Oct 7, 2003 #1
    I'm trying to see how many women have made significant additions to scientific knowledge in the past. I can only think of two, off the top of my head: Madame Wu and Marie Curie.

Please name all of the women that you believe have been important in science in their own right (IOW, they weren't mainly known as so-and-so's wife).

You may also name women who will very likely be significant in future scientific discovery.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2003 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Rosalind Franklin, SHE should have gotten the credit of unraveling the structure of DNA. Watson and Crick basically stole here data and came out with the conclusion.

She COULD have gotten the Nobel prize, if she hadn't died prematurely :(

4. Oct 7, 2003 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Oct 7, 2003 #4
    Marquise du Chatelet: Connected Leibniz and Newton, x=cy2

Lise Meitner: Fission. The real genious behind it.

Sadly women has been much repressed. We'll obviously see more of them later, if we manage not making WW3 de la a-bomb.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2003
  6. Oct 7, 2003 #5
    Hypatia: mathematician
    Sophie Germain: mathematician
    Emmy Noether: Noether theorem
    Jocelyn Bell: discoverer of pulsars
    A.J. Cannon: classification of stars

Actually, Fotini Markopoulou and Renate Loll in LQG and Lisa Randall in string theory are very promising

7. Oct 7, 2003 #6

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Jane Goodall (or is she more of an activist?)

8. Oct 24, 2003 #7
    I never knew this.

9. Oct 24, 2003 #8
    Thanks for all the responses so far. Are there any more?

Also, I hope that one day we can add names like Monique and whatever Gale17's actual name is, to this kind of list. I'm still a strong believer that the PFs are going to change world.

[edit]changed punctuation[/edit]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2005
  10. Oct 24, 2003 #9

drag

Science Advisor

Only if you make sure you do all your homework
    before you go online. :wink:

11. Oct 24, 2003 #10
    Always...but I don't think I'll be one of those that makes a big difference in the world, I was referring to other people.

12. Oct 24, 2003 #11
    Marie Cunitz

13. Oct 24, 2003 #12
    And to top it all off Watson wrote a book that portrayed her as a secretive, bad dressing, anti-social, *****.

14. Oct 24, 2003 #13

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

IMHO, the real villain in the Rosalynd Franklin story was not Watson but her boss Maurice Wilkins (who DID share in the DNA Nobel). He swiped her helix diffraction picture and took it to Watson and Crick.
    It wasn't key for them - they had already just about finalized their model - but it was exciting and important confirmation. They used it without even asking her. Watson's caricature was just an expression of his bad conscience. he knew the three men had stiffed her.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?