Women Lie Less than Men

1. russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/05/18/poll-men-lie-more-than-women-no-really/?hpt=Sbin

Who wants first shot at the punch-line?

2. jcsd
  3. lisab

Seriously, two or three times a day? Who lies that much?

4. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,266
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, twice a day?! I didn't know the Brits had sex so often. :wink:

5. lisab

:rofl:

6. russ_watters

I certainly don't! Or do I? How would you know if I'm telling the truth about that?

7. Wait? When did women find out the truth??? Who told!

8. Yeah. Seems kind of silly. We'll run a poll and ask people how often they lie.

9. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,520
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,266
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Reminds me of a poll started here a long time ago where one of the options was "I don't vote in polls," or something like that. About 30% of the responses were for that option. :biggrin: It was, however, a wonderful example of the validity of polls that don't have enough questions that phrase the same thing different ways to test internal consistency of responses.

11. What a stupid poll, women lie about 20 times a day, but of course will only say 2, men being more honest say 3.:rofl:

12. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

Bah, beat me to it.

And really, who the hell can lie that often anyhow?!? I don't even get the option of lying that often in day. Do people go live their lives in such a way that when they're asked if they want fries with their burger, they say no instead of yes just because they feel they must lie?

And why are these weird "humans are awful" studies always coming out of the UK? If you want awful people, just go to California and start asking things.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  13. No, your bum doesn't look big in that!! :rofl:

14. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

Ohhhh now it makes sense, married people are making up for people like me.

15. Char. Limit

Char. Limit 1,986
    Gold Member

Also, does it count "lies" such as, "I'm feeling fine" when you actually feel like crap?

But yeah, I can't believe this. I can't believe that men tell 1.5 lies for every lie women tell, unless all of the men polled were married, and in that case lying is the perfect defense mechanism.

I'd definitely believe that humans lie more than once a day though. Humans. Can't trust 'em.

16. I've noticed that people do seem to lie a lot. Most lies people don't even think about.

"Why were you late to work?" , "Got stuck in traffic."

"Is that report done yet?" , "Yup, I was just about to send it to you."

"I had a soda in the fridge, do you know what happened to it?" , "No idea." *burp*

17. C'mon-you're going to trust this news report? It was written by a MAN after all.. or was it?

Maybe there was never any study after all? Or was there?

80% of of facts are lies told by women.. the other 75% are truthful facts from men...

Seriously...I see some serious challenges to proving or disproving this hypothesis..:smile:

18. Lisa!

Lisa! 990
    Gold Member

Was there anyone who doubted that?:rolleyes:

19. BobG

BobG 2,346
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But don't women usually divide the number of lies they tell by 3, while men multiply the number of lies they tell by 2?

That would mean women really tell 4 times as many lies as men.

20. CRGreathouse

CRGreathouse 3,682
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does anyone seriously think that a poll like this will have accurate results?

21. lisab

Yes.

Oops, that's one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?