Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Women OH YES Women!

1. Aug 1, 2009 #1
    Now this is a question that not only bugs me but all the other male programmers I know in South-Africa (I do'nt know how it is in other countries): How many female programmers are there? And how and at what age do they get interested in programming?

I have heard that most female programmers are asian and that there are'nt that much in the US but I dont know if this is true.

I would like to know this because it would be nice to have someone who won't get bored if I start talking alorithims and procedure and could actualy understand what I am saying.

So if you are/are intersted in programming or you know a female programmer let me know in this post.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2009 #2
    It is true that there are very few female programmers in the US.

If you were a construction worker, would you only be interested in dating female construction workers?

I'll let you learn the hard way that this is not actually the best plan.

4. Aug 1, 2009 #3
    Female programmers exist? I honestly don't think I've ever seen one.
    I agree with that, but what construction worker actually gets excited enough about construction to want to talk about it? And any stories they have to tell probably won't be very esoteric, so anyone could appreciate them.

5. Aug 1, 2009 #4
    That was damn well said. I almost pIsd myself wet thinking about it that way.
    But I not realy interested in dating female programmers but it would still be interesting to know if there are any.

6. Aug 1, 2009 #5
    megan-fox-transformers.jpg

Above: programmer.

7. Aug 1, 2009 #6
    I am female. I'm not a programmer. I'm a neurobiology student. We in science are quite different from programmers, engineers, mathematicians, et cetera. At the same time, there are some commonalities between all of we nerdy women.

I can't help but think from the tone of some of the posts here (from even the title.) that there's some sort of, well, exasperation or anger at women with almost a sexist tinge to it.

That is not a good thing.

Compsci classes are chock full of women; go to professional conferences, go to places where programmers are going to meet. If you're looking only where you work, you're going to come up short, and you will probably run into some trouble with policy about workplace interactions.

8. Aug 1, 2009 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Alternatively, you could refrain from talking about programming to people who are bored by it.

EDIT: or, learn how to talk about programming to non-programmers.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  9. Aug 1, 2009 #8

negitron

Science Advisor

I can find no evidence of this.

10. Aug 1, 2009 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm female and I've done programming in school and on the job. Most of my close female friends are programmers and they are all different ethnicities. They all had different reasons for getting into it. I asked one of my friends, who is Nigerian, how she got interested in it and she told me that when she was a little girl she always knew she wanted to be "some kind of engineer". She said she loved math and logic and she loved to build things.

I've worked with lots and lots of female developers, so I guess in Southern California it's just not that unusual. I have noticed that there are less women working in game development than other areas like financial systems, website development, and database marketing.

So why is it that you want so badly to talk to women about algorithms?:biggrin:

11. Aug 1, 2009 #10
    World's first programmer: Ada Lovelace

12. Aug 1, 2009 #11

negitron

Science Advisor

Meh. Not really. Or, rather, she was a programmer in much the same way that Da Vinci was a pilot.

13. Aug 1, 2009 #12
    Well she wrote code. ;-p

14. Aug 1, 2009 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Never thought about it before, but I've never met a woman who does systems integration, which includes a lot of programming. I'm sure there are women on the staffs of very large integration firms, but there must be very few at smaller scale.

15. Aug 1, 2009 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My older daughter is majoring in computer science. She had switched to biology, but just switched back.

16. Aug 1, 2009 #15
    I believe the number of women in tech jobs correlates closely with gender equality in that area.

17. Aug 1, 2009 #16
    It's a male fest in my comp sci class for me; I think there's 5 women out of ~60 students.

Been thinking a lot about why there's a dearth of women in STEM generally.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2009
  18. Aug 1, 2009 #17

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Computer science was reasonably integrated at my college; above a quarter of the students were women. Math. sadly, was not -- we had < 10%.

19. Aug 1, 2009 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, the math classes I took at a community college and at the University of Washington were well integrated. The physics classes...not so much.

Not that it bothered me...I liked the ratio :smile:.

20. Aug 1, 2009 #19

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My database mgmt. training classes always seemed to have more women than men. I think my last SQL server admin class had like 10 women and 2 men. Bunch of naughty girls, too. Our poor instructor was just about to talk about DTS packages and had a demo for us. He said, "OK, now I'm going to show you my package." That resulted in much giggling and snorting and kicking each other under the table. Good times. Good times.:biggrin:

21. Aug 1, 2009 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Omg, that made me laugh so hard I cried.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook