Men's Perspective on Womens Liberation: What's the Deal?

• Thread starter chaoseverlasting
  • Start date
In summary: They had internet back then? :rofl:In summary, the conversation discusses the complaint of a man who is against the women's lib movement and his observations from reading Cosmo and Femina magazine. Others in the conversation question why he is reading Cosmo and make fun of the outdated nature of his complaint. The conversation also touches on the history of women's liberation and societal changes since then.
chaoseverlasting
Are there any other guys out there who are just as strongly pissed off with the womens lib movement as I am?

I mean, I read cosmo and femina today, and it seems to me that women totally hate us, but at the same time want us. Now, I am totally for the liberation of women and all that. Heck, Id like to see women as equals in all spheres, but isn't this a bit too much? If women hate us so much, then why do the crib about not getting some guy they want, and how men are so thoroughly sickening, at the same time? Are these mags written by gals who can't hold a guy down or what?

Physics news on Phys.org
:rofl: You're relying on Cosmo for information about feminism? Also, it hasn't been called women's "lib" for a long time...we've come a long way since needing to burn bras to get attention. Cosmo is the LAST magazine a feminist would read (actually, they'd only get it if they needed something to burn to keep warm and there was nothing else left that could be burned). The magazines are written by very superficial people to appeal to other superficial people to make lots of money, that's all there is to it.

:rofl: Read the wikipedia page on Cosmo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmopolitan_(magazine)

Wikipedia said:
The magazine currently features feminine topics such as sex, makeup and hair tips [...]

:bugeye:Later in that paragraph we have
Wikipedia said:
Third-wave feminists have argued that although the present iteration of Cosmo was started to stop discrimination and empower women, it now contributes to women's oppression by inspiring uneasiness over their physical image, due to the magazine's venerated display of women's sexuality and statuesque body image

Wikipedia said:
In its January 1988 issue, Cosmopolitan ran a feature claiming that women had almost no reason to worry about contracting HIV long after the best available medical science indicated otherwise. The piece claimed that unprotected sex with an HIV-positive man did not put women at risk of infection, further stating that "most heterosexuals are not at risk" and that it is impossible to transmit HIV in the missionary position.

Last edited:
chaoseverlasting said:
I mean, I read cosmo and femina today, ...

Why are you reading Cosmo?:rolleyes:

Stuck in the Dentist office?

Women's Lib? Holy moley...'70's flash back.

berkeman said:
Why are you reading Cosmo?:rolleyes:

Even better question! :rofl: Actually, is there even anything in there to read? I thought it was all pictures and ads...a magazine for people who don't want to be burdened with actual reading. :rolleyes:

drankin said:
Stuck in the Dentist office?

Yeah, he most definitely must have been stuck in there and *very* nervous. :rofl:

FredGarvin said:
Women's Lib? Holy moley...'70's flash back.

I am woman, hear me roar! :approve:

Math Is Hard said:
I am woman, hear me roar! :approve:

Okay, Helen. :smile:

When reading the OP, I was certain it was a dead thread from 1978.

It is such an old complaint. It makes me think of rednecks in bars after their fifth shot of Jack.

chaoseverlasting said:
Are there any other guys out there who are just as strongly pissed off with the womens lib movement as I am?

I mean, I read cosmo and femina today, and it seems to me that women totally hate us, but at the same time want us. Now, I am totally for the liberation of women and all that. Heck, Id like to see women as equals in all spheres, but isn't this a bit too much? If women hate us so much, then why do the crib about not getting some guy they want, and how men are so thoroughly sickening, at the same time? Are these mags written by gals who can't hold a guy down or what?

For all this talk of women's liberation (actually this is the first I've heard of it in a long time), I've never actually met any women who behave this way. So I simply find it humorous enough that it doesn't concern me.

Sssshshure I'm pishhed uf wit tehm wemen libz. Hick! Vomen belong in the kichten, bear fot and pregnent. At thish rate you going to se them ridin them horseless cariages, I tell you rite now. Hick! @%# thy'z gona wana vote next!

Chi Meson said:
When reading the OP, I was certain it was a dead thread from 1978.

:rofl: PF was so great back in '78. Much trippier interface. And I think that was the year Greg got the perm.

Math Is Hard said:
:rofl: PF was so great back in '78. Much trippier interface. And I think that was the year Greg got the perm.

Wasn't it Greg's father who got the perm?

Last edited:
George Jones said:
Wasn't it Greg's father who got the perm?

:rofl: You're doing an age check, aren't you. :rofl:

Math Is Hard said:

But those 8 baud modems...jeesh.

Chi Meson said:
But those 8 baud modems...jeesh.
You had 8 baud modems at your disposal? You must have been working for the DOD. When I was in college, calculators were banned in tests and quizzes because a calculator (4-function Bomar) cost about 50% of the tuition for a semester. Luckily, I got to attend college at the time when women's lib (and the bra-less trend) had gotten well-entrenched here. The bra-less trend combined with the rising popularity of thin Indian-made tops made for comfy times. It's nice to hug up to a pal/love interest who is friendly and not trussed up in odd undergarments.

Well, I see I didn't miss too much by being born a decade late. :rofl:

you folk make jokes about it, but fact of the matter are still making a 1/3 less, have glass ceilings in many professions including presidency, and thres a strong wind a blowin and a stacked supreme court trying to deny their autonomy--I'm not talking about a convenioent abortion but a conception achieved by forcible rape.

Math Is Hard said:

they had internet back then?:confused:

Ki Man said:
they had internet back then?:confused:

Yea, but no cable, we had to use shoe strings and tin can hook-ups:approve:

My dad had a wireless smoke signal setup... it was far out

denverdoc said:
have glass ceilings in many professions including presidency
No, in the White House I think they mostly have chandeliers.

My mom n sis read cosmo once in a while, and i picked it up. I just got slightly ticked off with all that stuff in there. :rofl: So what is womens lib called these days?

chaoseverlasting said:
So what is womens lib called these days?

Civil rights.

chaoseverlasting said:
it seems to me that women totally hate us
I asked my wife why this is so. She said we are stupid, insensitive, selfish, and unresponsive. In other words, guys, they hate us because we are men.

1) What is "women's liberation" and why is it a topic of discussion?

"Women's liberation" refers to the movement for gender equality and the social, political, and economic empowerment of women. It has been a topic of discussion for decades as women continue to face discrimination and inequality in various aspects of society.

2) How do men view women's liberation and what is their role in it?

Men's perspectives on women's liberation can vary, but some common views include support for gender equality and recognition of the importance of women's rights. Men have a crucial role in advancing women's liberation by promoting gender equality, challenging sexist attitudes and behaviors, and advocating for women's rights.

3) Is there a difference between "women's liberation" and "feminism"?

While the terms are often used interchangeably, there is a subtle difference between the two. Women's liberation specifically focuses on the liberation of women from oppressive systems and structures, while feminism encompasses a broader range of issues related to gender equality and social justice.

4) How has men's perspective on women's liberation evolved over time?

Men's perspectives on women's liberation have evolved significantly over time. While some men have always been supportive of gender equality, there has also been a history of resistance and opposition to the movement. However, in recent years, more and more men are becoming allies and actively supporting women's liberation and gender equality.

5) What can men do to support women's liberation?

There are several ways that men can support women's liberation, including educating themselves on gender issues, challenging sexist attitudes and behaviors, using their privilege to advocate for women's rights, and actively promoting and supporting gender equality in their personal and professional lives.