Wonder if atoms die or get old

• Thread starter atomo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of atoms and their behavior when objects are destroyed or burned. It is explained that atoms themselves do not age or die, but can be rearranged into different forms through chemical processes. The ash left behind from burning paper is mostly carbon, which is made up of individual atoms that can still exist after being burned.
atomo
I there,i am new of the forum,
i was wonder if atoms die or get old...
For example,if i drop a piece of paper on the ground in a bit of time it will be destroyed right?by the atmosphere and weather condition,but this mean that the atoms will no be there anymore?that mean that the strong bond between atoms as been tear apart?
I don't understand if everything is created by atoms what happen to them when thing have been destroyed? Also that same piece of paper,if i put it on fire it will become ash,so i just burnt the atoms?thanks guys in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

welcome, mighty atomo! :biggrin:

no, the atoms in the paper will still be around somewhere …

washed away into the gutter, or eaten by earthworms and converted into soil, etc

and when you burn the paper, you may split the atoms apart from each other, to make new substances, but each individual atom will still be as good as it ever was

the only atoms that get old are the radioactive ones, that eventually decay to something else :wink:

Chemical processes, like burning, can tear and rearrange molecules but not atoms. When burn paper, you change the complicated organic molecules into its constituent atoms, Carbon, Oxygen, and Hydrogen, mostly, which then recombine into Carbon, Carbon Dioxide, some Carbon Monoxide, water, etc. The ash is mostly Carbon- Carbon Dioxide and Carbon Monoxide are gases that go into the air.

Thank you guys for the answer now i can sleep ihhihihihihi

I can assure you that atoms do not technically die or get old in the traditional sense. Atoms are the building blocks of matter and they cannot be destroyed. However, they can undergo chemical reactions and form new compounds, which may appear to be "dying" or "getting old".

In the example you mentioned, when a piece of paper is dropped on the ground and exposed to weather conditions, the paper may become brittle and eventually disintegrate. This is due to the chemical reactions between the paper's atoms and the surrounding environment. The atoms themselves are not destroyed, but they may form new compounds such as water and carbon dioxide.

Similarly, when you burn the paper, the atoms are not destroyed but they undergo a chemical reaction called combustion. The paper's atoms combine with oxygen in the air to form new compounds like carbon dioxide, water vapor, and ash.

In essence, atoms are constantly changing and forming new compounds, but they cannot be destroyed. So, while it may appear that atoms are "dying" or "getting old", they are simply undergoing chemical reactions and forming new substances. This is a fundamental concept in chemistry and is essential to understanding the behavior of matter. I hope this helps clarify your question.

1. Do atoms die like other living organisms?

No, atoms do not die like living organisms. They do not have a lifespan or a process of aging.

2. Can atoms get old?

No, atoms do not get old. They do not experience the physical changes associated with aging like living organisms do.

3. What happens to atoms over time?

Atoms do not change over time. They remain the same and do not experience any physical or chemical changes, unless they are involved in a chemical reaction.

4. Do atoms ever disappear?

No, atoms do not disappear. They can change form or combine with other atoms, but the total number of atoms in the universe remains constant.

5. Can atoms be destroyed?

Atoms cannot be destroyed. They can only be transformed into different forms or combined with other atoms, but the total number of atoms remains constant in the universe.