Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wondering exactly what sine is.

1. Dec 30, 2004 #1
    I was wondering exactly what sine is. i know that the relationship between sine and the angle is expressed as sinx=opposite/hypotoneuse. But is sine somekind of constant you multiply the angle with to get the O/H ratio? How did the people calculate the ratios without calculaters when they only knew the angles?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2004 #2
    Can't sine theta be thought of as the y value of a point on the unit circle when you rotate it through theta?
    cosine is the x value, tan is y/x.

Hence, sine 90 is 1, cos 90 is zero. tan 90 is indeterminant (1/0)

4. Dec 30, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Use algebra to find a lot of values, then interpolate to fill in the gaps.

You should be able to do sin 30 and sin 45 without a calculator. :tongue2: sin 72 can be done with pentagons. (same with cosine) Every multiple of 3 can then be gotten through the addition and subtraction of angles formulae. The half angle formuale can get you even finer... (and the one/third angle formulae, if you know the cubic formula)

One way your calculator could compute them is through their MacLauren series... but I understand they actually use a much cleverer method.

No, tan 90 is undefined -- 90 is not in the domain of the tangent function.
  5. Dec 30, 2004 #4
    you can learn the values of some standard angles
    Code (Text):

degree 0    30       45                      60                   90
     Sin     0    1/2      1/squareroot 2     (root 3)/ 2         1
    Cos    reverse the series
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  6. Dec 31, 2004 #5
    Oops! Thanks Hurkyl :redface:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?