1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wondering what i should be

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    i am really interested in developing theories and furthering current theories like super string theory. i was trying to find out what kind of physicist i should be. first, i was wondering about quantum, particle, and astrophysics. next, if it should be applied or theoretical. i was just wondering which of these fields would let me form new theories about the universe and expand on existing theories about string theory or higgs bozons and whatnot. also wondering what school i should go to for these

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2012 #2
    also was wanting to learn about collapsing waves of probability and whatnot

4. Apr 26, 2012 #3

eri

You'd start with a major in physics. You can do that at most colleges and universities. You don't have to pick a specific field until grad school or later, and there's really no point until you've taken a few classes and gotten some experience in the field. What sounds cool before you've studied it might not be as interesting after you learn more, or when you learn that most other physicists don't take it seriously.

5. Apr 27, 2012 #4
    i just wanted to be theoretical because i thought that they were the ones who studied string theory. so what branch of physics studies string theory and the like?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook