Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wonkey knee

1. Nov 4, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I am sure it is not right, it seems able to go backwards far more than the other, and has less control, it has little pain until it goes backwards, the only outward sign of malfunction is that it is quite hot ? is this a doctor thing or wait and see thing?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2006 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you done anything recently to damage it? When you say 'backwards', do you mean beyond the point of straight-leggedness?

If you've damaged it today get some ice and compression on it, keep it up, and perhaps have a couple of ibuprofen. See how it goes tomorrow, and providing it's not an A&E job you'll know after tomorrow if it's a trip to the docs/physio.

4. Nov 4, 2006 #3

wolram

Gold Member

I fell on it tother day and it goes way beyond straight, and now the blasted thing seems much bigger than the other.:grumpy:

5. Nov 4, 2006 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Now i have a bruise that seems to be getting bigger by the hour :grumpy: :grumpy:

6. Nov 4, 2006 #5

turbo

Gold Member

I've got two of those, Woolie! Years of working on concrete floors earned me arthroscopic surgery on both and arthritis. I'm in my mid-50's and can be very crippled up when exposed to fragrances. It flares up my immune system and makes my joints so painful that it is difficult to walk. Do not go to a chiropractor or an osteopathic doctor if you are seeking pain relief. See a real doctor and pursue therapy and healthy supplementation instead of drugs. Pain-killers just numb you to additional damage that you are doing to your joints.

7. Nov 4, 2006 #6

wolram

Gold Member

Aww, sorry Turbo, that must be rough, i would not bother anyone except for this bruise getting bigger.

8. Nov 4, 2006 #7

wolram

Gold Member

Hey Turbo, have you tried hydro therapy i just remembered it is supposed to be very good.

9. Nov 4, 2006 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That's not good, go to a doctor, that might be bleeding causing the "bruise". If you get a blood clot and it goes into your circulatory system, it could kill you.

10. Nov 5, 2006 #9

Tsu

Gold Member

er, sweetie... ALL bruises are caused by bleeding... :surprised :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Go to the doctor, Wollie. Especially if it's hot and swollen. Sounds like it could be a joint effusion. Don't wait. Go now. I'm not saying you're in danger, but the sooner you take care of the problem, the better and easier it will heal.

11. Nov 5, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Take Tsu's advice and see your doctor. Hot, swollen, and bending directions normal knees aren't supposed to bend is not a good sign. You could have torn a ligament in your fall, and even if it's just a sprain, you should get it properly bandaged so you don't cause more damage to yourself walking around on it.

12. Nov 5, 2006 #11

Evo

I know. but he said it's increasing, that means it's still bleeding and that's not normal, it's not just a "bruise". :grumpy:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  13. Nov 5, 2006 #12

Danger

Gold Member

Definitely doctor time, Woolie. Knees are one of the worst places for an injury, because they just don't heal on their own. Even a relatively minor problem like a sprain is stressed so much during everyday activity that there just isn't an opportunity for healing to set in properly. What you describe sounds very much like what happened when I tore the tendon in my left knee back in grade 10. It has never healed, and never will, and was the 'nucleation' site for the arthritis that currently inhabits every part of my body. Don't take any chances.
    Was this a result of the 'haunting' when you said that you missed a stair? My injury was a result of falling to my knees with a load of books when someone ran into me on ice in the parking lot. The first sign of something being wrong (other than the pain) was when I pulled up my pant leg and found my kneecap 2 inches higher than its normal location.

14. Nov 5, 2006 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Meh! Be a man, Wollie! Wrap it up in an ace bandage and use ice on it at night!

Fine print:
    Okay, actually that worked for about a week (which was good enough - I had a couple of big games coming up). After that, I didn't play soccer for about two months and it took longer than that for my knee to really recover 100%. But, on the bright side, by the end of it all, I could shoot with my left foot even better than with my right foot.

Finer print:
    You realize this advice is given by the same guy that suggested rigging a circuit in your pants designed to deliver electric shocks would be an effective way to discourage females from pinching your butt, don't you?

15. Nov 5, 2006 #14

Danger

Gold Member

Is this a modification of the 'electro-ejaculator'? Do you just reverse the polarity, or what? :confused:

16. Nov 5, 2006 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No! It's based on the same idea of those novelty books that lure someone to open them with a provocative title but deliver an electric shock as soon as the book is opened.

You charge a capacitor with a battery and the pinching woman provides the discharge path when she touches the pinchee's pants.

I thought it was a great idea! As long as you don't spill anything on yourself, of course.

17. Nov 5, 2006 #16

turbo

Gold Member

No, it is not safe for me to spend long periods in enclosed spaces that are open to the public. Even "unscented" Oil of Olay moisturizing lotion is so loaded with fragrances (masking fragrances) that it causes a severe reaction (migraine, congested lungs, and very painful arthritis flare-ups, not to mention extremely high blood pressure - once it got to 208 over 90, making me just a little bit nervous about aneurysms). Friday, I had to go to the lab at the local hospital to give them a blood sample for my upcoming physical. I was there for about 15 minutes, and though I didn't smell any strong perfumes or fragrances, I was in pain (joints) and in respiratory distress for most of Saturday, as well.

18. Nov 5, 2006 #17

Danger

Gold Member

Reminscent of one of the weapons that I designed. Thin coats of latex on my hands, with transparent conductive paint strips along both sides of the fingers... hooked to a Taser circuit. The problem is to make damned sure that my uninsulated parts don't come into contact with the subject.
    (And masturbation is not recommended. :surprised )

19. Nov 5, 2006 #18

wolram

Gold Member

That is a double dose of rotten Turbo , my problem seems nothing now,
    anyway guys, i think it is ok stiff (shut up Danger):tongue2: but the bruise stopped spreading, and it feels ok walking, and it is only slightly painful
    whilst it has been still for a time.

20. Nov 5, 2006 #19

Danger

Gold Member

You do realize how irritating pre-emptive strikes are, don't you? :grumpy:

21. Nov 5, 2006 #20

Evo

Try to stay off of it as much as possible for the next week or two, knees can be tricky. After my knee incident, it clicks when I go up and down stairs and sitting in an odd position can make it hurt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?