Scientology Ads on IronHubbard.org: Is PF Blocking It?

• Thread starter AlephZero
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation addresses the issue of unwanted banner ads appearing on the website, specifically one for lronhubbard [dot] org which is a scientology site. The group discusses the limitations of blocking these ads and how they are chosen by Google. They also mention an incident on the show "Arrested Development" where Tom Cruise was mistakenly referred to as a scientist. The conversation ends with one member struggling to resist clicking on the banner ad.
AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm seeing banner ads for lronhubbard [dot] org (scientology).

I don't know what I've done to deserve that, but shouldn't PF be blocking it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Also just came across an ad with a lady in a short dress (and saw something loving sons). From a quick glance it had was a dating website. It didn't look too good.

I gather that Google Ad's does NOT show ads that reflect what one had done a search for, or sites one has visited.

Sadly, AdSense ad selection went downhill lately.

They are done automatically by Google so there is not much we can do (especially taking into account the fact they pay for the site and our yearly Bora Bora trip). What we can do is to block some ads, but it has to be done manually - report them when you see them and we will do our best.

I keep getting zoosk dating service on the mobile app. Should this be reported too?

AlephZero said:

On "Arrested Development", the mother saw the Today Show where she claims "a doctor told her to go off her mood medication", and mentioned "that he was some sort of scientist". The doctor was actually Tom Cruise. :P

I'm reminded that I have Adblock.

physicsforum_zps562a3e60.jpg

I -REALLY- had to resist the urge to click the link...

AlephZero said:

I don't know what I've done to deserve that

You and your thetans have a lot to answer for. :mad:

Please! This is torture! You know I needed a good slap from my half-sister as I tried to resist, but was moving the cursor closer and closer, to click the ad...
physicsforums_zps032017ae.jpg

1. What is Scientology?

Scientology is a controversial religion founded by L. Ron Hubbard in 1954. It is based on the belief that humans are immortal beings who have forgotten their true nature.

2. What is IronHubbard.org?

IronHubbard.org is a website created by the Church of Scientology that promotes the teachings of L. Ron Hubbard and provides information about the religion.

3. What are the Scientology ads on IronHubbard.org?

The Scientology ads on IronHubbard.org are promotional materials created by the Church of Scientology to advertise their religion and attract new members.

4. Why is PF blocking the Scientology ads on IronHubbard.org?

PF, or the Partnership for Freedom, is a group that aims to combat human trafficking and protect human rights. They have classified the Church of Scientology as a high-risk organization and therefore have blocked their ads on IronHubbard.org.

5. Is the blocking of Scientology ads on IronHubbard.org legal?

The blocking of Scientology ads on IronHubbard.org by PF is legal as they have the right to choose which advertisements they allow on their platform. However, the Church of Scientology has challenged this decision in court and the legality of the matter is still being debated.