What is the speed of the bullet after it is fired into a wood block?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the speed of a bullet fired into a wooden block that is at rest on a table. The block, with the bullet embedded, slides 5.0 cm across the table. The momentum of the block is initially zero and must be used to calculate the bullet's velocity. Using kinematics, the final velocity of the block and bullet can be found, but this requires knowing the acceleration, which is unknown. Alternatively, the conservation of energy can be used to calculate the frictional force that stops the block after it has traveled 5.0 cm. However, this method also requires knowing the coefficient of friction, which is not provided in the problem. Therefore, the problem cannot be solved without knowing the coefficient
FancyNut
I'm stuck on this problem..

A 10 g bullet is fired into a 10 kg wood block that is at rest on a wood table. The block, with the bullet embedded, slides 5.0 cm across the table.

What was the speed of the bullet?

My futile attempt:

the wood block's initial momentum is zero so it's [tex]m_b v_b = (m_b + m_w) v_f[/tex]

Where [tex]m_w[/tex] is the mass of the wooden block. In order to get the bullet's velocity (which is [tex]v_b[/tex]) I need [tex]v_f[/tex] which is the final velocity of both the bullet and the block in this inelastic collision.

So I tried to use kinematics to get that final velocity which is equal to initial velocity from the start of motion (bullet + block) until it comes to rest after moving .05 meters.

[tex]v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2 x a[/tex]

[tex]0 = v_i^2 + 2 (.05) a[/tex]

As you can see, I don't know the acceleration... so maybe I should do some force analysis? The problem didn't give the magnitude of force the bullet exerted on the block nor the coefficients for friction so I don't know... :frown:

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the conservation of energy here.

where? If I use it on the second part, where the bullet is in the block, potential energy doesn't change (distance from ground is the same) but kinetic energy is decreasing... I'm guessing it's transforming into friction/heat/other energy.

If I use it before the bullet hits the block, again, potential energy is not changing... I only have kinetic energy of the bullet just before it hits-- I don't know what to set it equal to so I can solve for velocity.

You take
[tex]\frac{mv^2}{2}=Fd[/tex]
F is the frictional force that stop the block after it traveled 5.0cm
Assuming all the Kinetic Energy has been changed into friction energy in the end.

whats the coefficient of friction? there is obviously friction involved, as it is wood on wood. otherwise, it would slide on forever...

since you can find F, you can find coefficient of friction because [tex]COF=\frac{F}{Mg}[/tex]

information missing

Without the coefficient of friction one cannot solve this problem.

CartoonKid said:
You take
[tex]\frac{mv^2}{2}=Fd[/tex]
F is the frictional force that stop the block after it traveled 5.0cm
Assuming all the Kinetic Energy has been changed into friction energy in the end.

How did you get that equation? I know you mean kinetic energy equals the friction force but why is the force multiplied by the distance? It makes sense if I think about it (the longer the distance the bigger the force/smaller kinetic energy gets) but I wouldn't know how to derive it myself...

The F here is the frictional force. You see, the work done by frictional force is force times distance travelled. However, this question seems to have missing information after I attempted it.

CartoonKid said:
The F here is the frictional force. You see, the work done by frictional force is force times distance travelled. However, this question seems to have missing information after I attempted it.

Hmm I skimmed through my text and found a chart for some friction constants. I tried your formula then and it worked... weird considering just about every other problem that had friction in it, I was given the coefficients... this is www.masteringphysics.com btw.

I think there's another way though. If your formula relied on work (force * distance) then there must be because this is part of HW 9 which just covers momentum/beginning of energy. :eek:

1. What is a wood block momentum problem?

A wood block momentum problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the momentum of a wooden block, which is a measure of its motion. It typically involves a wooden block sliding or colliding with another object, and requires knowledge of the block's mass, velocity, and direction of motion.

2. How do you solve a wood block momentum problem?

To solve a wood block momentum problem, you first need to gather all the necessary information, such as the mass and velocity of the block, and the mass and velocity of any other objects involved. Then, you can use the equation p = mv (momentum = mass x velocity) to calculate the momentum of the block. You may also need to use the principles of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum before a collision or interaction must be equal to the total momentum after.

3. What units are used to measure momentum in a wood block momentum problem?

Momentum is typically measured in kilogram-meters per second (kg-m/s) in a wood block momentum problem. This is because momentum is a combination of mass (measured in kilograms) and velocity (measured in meters per second).

4. How does friction affect a wood block momentum problem?

Friction can affect a wood block momentum problem in several ways. First, friction can slow down the block's motion, which decreases its velocity and thus its momentum. Additionally, friction can cause the block to rotate or spin, which can change its direction and thus its momentum. When solving a wood block momentum problem, it is important to take friction into account and adjust the calculations accordingly.

5. Can you apply the principles of conservation of momentum to a wood block momentum problem?

Yes, the principles of conservation of momentum can be applied to a wood block momentum problem. This means that the total momentum before a collision or interaction between the block and another object must be equal to the total momentum after. This can be used to solve for unknown variables and check the accuracy of calculations in a wood block momentum problem.