1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wooden blocks friction problem

1. Jul 9, 2012 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two similar wooden blocks are tied one behind the other and pulled across a level surface. Friction is not negligible. The force required to pull them at constant speed is F. If one block is stacked upon the other then the new force required to pull them at constant speed will be approximately ?

2. Relevant equations
    f=μN
    F=f

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't understand if they are connected by a string or something else. If a string is present then I will have to apply a Tension force. If they are just simply connected by some other means then the contact force has to be taken into account. By either way I am not able to get the answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi utkarshakash! welcome to pf! :smile:

suppose the two blocks have mass m (each), the coefficient of kinetic friction is µ, and the tension is T …

since the acceleration is 0, what are the equations for the forces on the two blocks? :wink:

4. Jul 9, 2012 #3

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Thanks. I just got my answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook