Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wood's Replica Grating need help

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1
    I am not a physics student, but my father was.

I found a "Wood's Replica Grating" among his belongings after he died and have been scouring the internet trying to understand what this replica grating was used for. I think I am on the right track with optics, but I'd like to know more.

Can anyone help me so I can understand the basics of the replica grating?

Does anyone know when the "Wood's Replica Grating" was first created?

Thank you very much for your help.

Kirstie

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2007 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is a brief bio of Wood . I find other references to "Wood Gratings". This is a diffraction grating which is used to analize the spectra of light sources. I appears that some old phyiscs labs had students constructing Woods gratings. This is probably what you have.

4. Nov 19, 2007 #3
    Yes, I found online references to Wood's grating, but I wasn't able to understand its specific use, so I appreciate your reply.

And thanks for the link, I found the biography of Wood quite informative...and now realize the connection between his copy of Physical Optics textbook by Wood (my dad kept most of his college textbooks)...and the grating. It didn't make sense to me that he would have used this in his career as a missile systems analyst, but I knew he was interested in photography, telescopes and lenses of various sorts... I have been curious to know where the grating came from.

So, thank you very much for your prompt reply. I appreciate the information.

Kirstie

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?