Woodworking Plans: Get Plans for 3 in 1 Rocking Horse

• Thread starter mcknia07
  • Start date
In summary: I think if you study the pics of the one edward found you could reverse engineer it. There are no moving parts, it's one thing or the other by virtue of which of 3 ways you set it on the floor.
mcknia07
I like doing woodworking projects, but I'm looking for something specific. I would really like to get plans to make a 3 in 1 rocking horse, high chair, and desk. If anyone knows where I might get one or has one to give me dimensions would be a huge help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I could only find tables on this site but it has a good number of links to other sites.

http://woodgears.ca/

Thanks Edward. That was exactly what I was looking for. Can't wait 'til I get it and start building. I'll be sure to post pics of the finished project :)

I want a free plan, but if I can't find one, I will be going to that site to buy one. Still not a bad price to pay for the plans.

mcknia07 said:
I would really like to get plans to make a 3 in 1 rocking horse, high chair, and desk.
I can't imagine that anyone has developed a 3 in 1 desk, high chair and rocking horse. Ostensibly, one constructs a high desk with a base that supports the rocking horse, which also serves as a chair. Is the desktop integrated into the horse, or the horse integrated into the desktop? Normally, the desktop is a flat surface, so where would the desktop be in relation to the horse's head?

Here's lots of ideas, but as edward indicated, one may have to buy plans. No 3-in-1 rocking horse, high chair, and desk though.
http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodworking-plans/all-plans

Nice to see you mcknia :smile:!

Phinds is our resident woodworking expert:

https://www.physicsforums.com/member.php?u=310841

I bet he'll have some ideas.

But have you checked out woodworking magazines yet? They will often have plans. Not sure if you can access the issues online, but maybe your library will have some. In fact I bet your library will have lots of books with woodworking plans!

Thanks Lisa. It's been way too long since I have been on here. I have missed you all!

Sad to say, but I never go to our library :( did not even think to look there lol

mcknia07 said:
I want a free plan, but if I can't find one, I will be going to that site to buy one. Still not a bad price to pay for the plans.

I think if you study the pics of the one edward found you could reverse engineer it. There are no moving parts, it's one thing or the other by virtue of which of 3 ways you set it on the floor.

mcknia07,

(I'm not sure why you're asking this on a Physics Forum.) Have you tried this http://woodworkforums.com.au/ ?

Last edited by a moderator:
zoobyshoe said:
I think if you study the pics of the one edward found you could reverse engineer it. There are no moving parts, it's one thing or the other by virtue of which of 3 ways you set it on the floor.

No way you're going to reverse-engineer that contraption unless you're in for a lesson in frustration. Well I'm sayin' cus I build stuff too. Way hard to make that strong in my opinion not to mention one day you'll likely find your little one all tangled up in it trying to rock the desk or one of the other what 5 combinations? I can just see a little 6 year-old girl telling her dad, "but dad, it's too complicated!" To which her dad would say, "tell you what sweetheart, why don't you and me go and cut everything off until there is just a little stool remaining that you can put your dolls on, huh?"

strangerep said:
mcknia07,

(I'm not sure why you're asking this on a Physics Forum.) Have you tried this http://woodworkforums.com.au/ ?

This is the general discussion section of the Physics Forums

And use a nice Mahogany.

Soft, like a babies behind. :smile:

lisab said:
Nice to see you mcknia :smile:!

Phinds is our resident woodworking expert:

https://www.physicsforums.com/member.php?u=310841

I bet he'll have some ideas.

But have you checked out woodworking magazines yet? They will often have plans. Not sure if you can access the issues online, but maybe your library will have some. In fact I bet your library will have lots of books with woodworking plans!

I was so impressed to the plans linked to that I posted them on a woodworking forum. When I saw the title, my first thought was "this guy has to be nuts ... you can't do all that in one item", but boy was I wrong.

I actually saw the 3 in 1 wooden rocker at an Amish store and thought I could make that. I want to build mine out of oak and just varnish it. It will be so neat to build!

ummm... Have you ever worked with oak before? Can you show us some examples of your previous woodworking projects, please. hmmm... Does anyone else think we should move this to the homework section?

:tongue:

Yes, I have worked with oak before. When I was younger I made small projects a lot with my dad in the garage. I also made several things while I was in school. My recent projects are more time consuming, so this project will be a piece of cake once I start :D

mcknia07 said:
Yes, I have worked with oak before. When I was younger I made small projects a lot with my dad in the garage. I also made several things while I was in school. My recent projects are more time consuming, so this project will be a piece of cake once I start :D

Ok. As long as you know what you're getting into. I worked with oak only once. It was like steel, compared to the mahogany.

Though, the mahogany was steel compared to the cedar.

I once referred to cedar as the "Charmin" of woods. It is very soft.

Anyways, good to see you back mcknia. :smile:

jackmell said:
No way you're going to reverse-engineer that contraption unless you're in for a lesson in frustration.
I think the structure of it would be very easy to reproduce just from studying those three pictures. Whoever designed it in the first place has solved all the potentially baffling problems of combining the three things, and you can see the solutions there. The hard part would be what's always the hard part: the finish work.

Also, it's not for a 6 year old. It's for a baby/toddler. The parent would be doing all the changes of position.

No way that's a piece of cake guys. I don't think it's a piece of cake even with the instructions. You do have a shop full of tools right? And oak even? Better be a shop full of sharp tools. With the instructions, that contraption would take me at least a week to build, sand, stain, and varnish. More like two. Norm skips a lot of steps on his TV show you realize right?

Oh, know what you should try, "Arts and Craft" finish on oak. That's when you place the piece in an enclosed box and fumigate it with ammonia for a while. It gives it that 1950's oak look like an oak desk at a school. Never tried that before though.

Last edited:
strangerep said:
mcknia07,

It might be because her friends are here. Why would she ask some old codgers on a woodworking forum ( sorry phinds:devil:), when she can ask the handsome gentlemen and gracious lovely women on physicsforums?

OmCheeto said:
Ok. As long as you know what you're getting into. I worked with oak only once. It was like steel, compared to the mahogany.

What you need are a nice set of 100-year-old hand tools. (Or better, even older ones). The original owner will have thrown out all the rubbish that didn't stay sharp!

I've "inherited" a random collection including a brace and a set of bits similar to this. Last time I used them was to make a some inch-diameter blind holes in 12x12 oak gateposts. They went through it like a knife through butter.

brace+and+bit.jpg

That picture doesn't show the size, but the brace I have is about 2 feet long.

AlephZero said:
What you need are a nice set of 100-year-old hand tools. (Or better, even older ones). The original owner will have thrown out all the rubbish that didn't stay sharp!

I've "inherited" a random collection including a brace and a set of bits similar to this. Last time I used them was to make a some inch-diameter blind holes in 12x12 oak gateposts. They went through it like a knife through butter.

brace+and+bit.jpg

That picture doesn't show the size, but the brace I have is about 2 feet long.

I have a brace and bit set which I inherited that appears to be just like yours. I was teaching my 12 year old grandson how to use it and he kept mumbling something about "cordless drill" the whole time.

edward said:
I have a brace and bit set which I inherited that appears to be just like yours. I was teaching my 12 year old grandson how to use it and he kept mumbling something about "cordless drill" the whole time.
My favorite "cordless drill" is the amazing pump drill:

http://makezine.com/2013/02/26/tool-tales-the-pump-drill/

I've actually used one of these, and they are ever so cool. And much better for small diameter holes than the brace and bit.

I lean more toward power tools. They are much quicker, except when you are a perfectionist. Way faster than old fashioned hand tools. (Some of us don't have the muscles to use them, lol)

mcknia07 said:
I lean more toward power tools. They are much quicker, except when you are a perfectionist. Way faster than old fashioned hand tools. (Some of us don't have the muscles to use them, lol)

:!) I love power tools!

lisab said:
:!) I love power tools!

Me too. I can make mistakes a lot faster.:devil:

1. What is a 3 in 1 rocking horse?

A 3 in 1 rocking horse is a type of children's toy that can be used as a traditional rocking horse, a ride-on toy, and a push toy. It usually has a detachable base and handles that can be removed or added depending on the child's age and ability.

2. Are the woodworking plans for the 3 in 1 rocking horse suitable for beginners?

Yes, the woodworking plans for the 3 in 1 rocking horse are designed for all skill levels, including beginners. They include detailed instructions and diagrams to guide you through the building process.

3. What materials are needed to build a 3 in 1 rocking horse?

The materials needed to build a 3 in 1 rocking horse include wood boards, screws, wood glue, sandpaper, and paint or stain. The specific measurements and quantities of these materials are outlined in the woodworking plans.

4. Can the 3 in 1 rocking horse be customized?

Yes, the 3 in 1 rocking horse can be customized based on your preferences. You can choose the type of wood, the color or design of the paint or stain, and even add personal touches such as a child's name or special details.

5. How long does it take to build a 3 in 1 rocking horse?

The time it takes to build a 3 in 1 rocking horse will vary depending on your woodworking skills and the tools you have available. On average, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days to complete.