Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Woofer subterfuge

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    I don't hear car subwoofers nowadays nearly as much as I did several years back. Are they an invitation to steal a stereo?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2
    An invitation no doubt. If I was to take a guess i'd say it's somewhat related to gas prices. People don't just cruise around aimlessly like they used to years back, so they find other things to spend their money on. Following the logic that if a car has a sufficiently large enough amplifier to power a set (or multiple sets) of big speakers, the battery would drain very quickly if the engine wasn't running.

4. Oct 26, 2009 #3
    Fads come and fads go, right now the fad of showing off your decibel superioritity has faded thankfully although there are a few still holding on hopelessly.

5. Oct 27, 2009 #4
    Around here they made laws against it and started enforcing them fairly strictly. My ex, who had just a regular car stereo, was once pulled over and cited for playing Louis Armstrong too loudly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook