Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

WOOHOO It's Fr-Iday

1. Dec 9, 2005 #1

Tsu

Gold Member

WOOHOO!!! It's Fr-Iday!!!

:biggrin: Tomorrow will be clear and 35 degrees(ish) and I'm going to be a major pyromaniac. :surprised :biggrin: I'm going to fire up my burn barrell and a pile of debris. Ivan is down in CA with his folks this week and it's just going to be me and my matches. :!!) :biggrin: Oh, OK. I'll have a water hose hooked up and ready to go, too.
    Anyone want to get some martini makings and join me? :rofl: :rofl: Green Apple of course, but Watermelon would be good, too. With the heat from the fire and the sparks we can pretend it's the 4th of July! :rofl: :rofl:
    Hmmm... I think my Cytomel may be kicking in. I feel nearly human lately. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2005 #2
    I'm always up for a little drinking and pyromania, but Ivan told me I'm not allowed within 100 ft of you or your place.

4. Dec 9, 2005 #3

matthyaouw

Gold Member

:bugeye: Can I come play?
    Wow, it'll be just like being 14 again!

5. Dec 9, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you think you could fire that up at my place instead? I have a drive that needs to be melted. :biggrin:

6. Dec 9, 2005 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I thought you meant Fire-day!

And I started thinking about the Volcano. Are you getting it warmed up for the Sisterhood?

7. Dec 9, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh, that's right! The polls close tonight and it looks like Danger is getting tossed in the volcano this year! :biggrin: Let's get it nice and toasty in there...it's going to take some time to thaw him out up there in Alberta before we roast him properly.

8. Dec 10, 2005 #7

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hehe,
    I'll have a chat with Derivitive, I think she has a Harry Potter moive in mind but a fire is always fun!

9. Dec 10, 2005 #8

Tsu

Gold Member

Oh, hot DOG!!! A sacrifice. This is sounding REALLY good, now! It's OK, trib. You can come over this time. We never did get around to chucking YOU into the volcano last year, did we? Or did I miss it? :grumpy:

Moonbear, if you can find a way to get all of my debris off these 5 acres and across the country to your house, I'd be more than happy to thaw your driveway. :biggrin: Ya better hurry, tho. The fire starts first thing in the morning! (well... MY morning...):biggrin:

Integral, tell Derivitive that she can watch Harry Potter ANY time. 'Course I will be burning for a long time, so anyone can show up at any time...

I must get to bed so I have lots of z's on board for the fires and the sacrifice(s). :devil: :rofl: G'nite! :smile:

10. Dec 10, 2005 #9

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sweet, Friday means I have two distraction-free days to catch up on my work! :smile:

Kill me.

11. Dec 10, 2005 #10

Astronuc

I knew the members of the PF Sisterhood were hot, but I had no idea that extended to volcanos and combustion. :biggrin:

12. Dec 10, 2005 #11

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Is anything burned in effigy at these meetings?

13. Dec 10, 2005 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Soooooo, a number of years ago my wife - the pyromaniac - wanted to light a burn barrel [55 gallon drum] that I was preparing to light. But you see, due to the wet and difficult to light material inside, this was not just any burn barrel, this was a special barrel that had been primed with gasoline. I had a two by four with paper attached to the end ready to light and use as a giant match. The only problem was that since I was delayed by Tsu's request, the gasoline fumes had accumulated in the barrel.

Now, I told Tsu that this would be an energetic event, but even I didn't expect the thing to go off like a battleship cannon! So after I picked Tsu up off the ground, I don't think she stopped *****ing at me for at least a week. :biggrin:

14. Dec 10, 2005 #13

Danger

Gold Member

Ivan, I so hate you for not providing film coverage. :rofl:

15. Dec 10, 2005 #14

Astronuc

I hope Tsu wasn't peering into the barrel when you set it off.

What a fun couple.

I used to build fires in barrels when I was about 6-7. My brother (about 5-6 at the time) decided to take a look at what I was doing one day. He put his face over the edge of a barrel and promptly singed his eyelashes, eyebrows and hair. He did not repeat that mistake.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  16. Dec 10, 2005 #15

Danger

Gold Member

I couldn't believe that a quote like that came from you... until I reread it more carefully and saw the 'r' in that word. :redface:

17. Dec 10, 2005 #16

Astronuc

Boy do have a vivid (well vivid may not be quite the word) imagination! :rolleyes: :biggrin: :rofl:

18. Dec 10, 2005 #17

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Confine it within something non-flammable? Why didn't I think of that?
    *re-applies make-shift eyebrows with eyeliner pencil*

19. Dec 10, 2005 #18
    Reminds me of when I use to live in Tennessee and my neibors were having a bond fire and some wind blew some of the fire into the flood plains (it wasn't flooded then) and it burt down like 20 arces of grassland, lucky a near by creek stopped it. There use to be just really tall yellow grass there but after the fire it all turned into 6ft tall green grass and bushes so thick you couldnt even walk through it.

20. Dec 10, 2005 #19

Evo

So, Tsu, how'd the fire go?

21. Dec 10, 2005 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I want to come over and practice my chemistry in the bonfire. I got some recipes for pretty colored flames:

red flames
    strontium chloride

carmine flames
    lithium chloride

orange flames
    calcium chloride (a bleaching powder)

white flames
    magnesium sulphate (Epsom Salts)

blue flames
    cupric chloride (copper chloride)

green flames
    copper sulphate (blue vitrol)

yellow flames
    sodium chloride

yellowish-green flames
    sodium borate (borax)

purple flames
    potassium chloride

violet flames
    potassium sulphate (chromealum) mixed
    3 to 1 with potassium nitrate (saltpeter)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?