Celebrate the 4th of July with a Fire & Martini Party!

• Thread starter Tsu
  • Start date
In summary, Integral is talking about when he was a child and built fires in barrels. His brother got hurt when he put his face over the edge of the barrel and Integral hates his brother now.
Tsu
Gold Member
WOOHOO! It's Fr-Iday!

:biggrin: Tomorrow will be clear and 35 degrees(ish) and I'm going to be a major pyromaniac. :biggrin: I'm going to fire up my burn barrell and a pile of debris. Ivan is down in CA with his folks this week and it's just going to be me and my matches. :!) :biggrin: Oh, OK. I'll have a water hose hooked up and ready to go, too.
Anyone want to get some martini makings and join me? :rofl: :rofl: Green Apple of course, but Watermelon would be good, too. With the heat from the fire and the sparks we can pretend it's the 4th of July! :rofl: :rofl:
Hmmm... I think my Cytomel may be kicking in. I feel nearly human lately. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm always up for a little drinking and pyromania, but Ivan told me I'm not allowed within 100 ft of you or your place.

:bugeye: Can I come play?
Wow, it'll be just like being 14 again!

Do you think you could fire that up at my place instead? I have a drive that needs to be melted. :biggrin:

It's Fr-Iday!
I thought you meant Fire-day!

And I started thinking about the Volcano. Are you getting it warmed up for the Sisterhood?

Astronuc said:
I thought you meant Fire-day!
And I started thinking about the Volcano. Are you getting it warmed up for the Sisterhood?
Ooh, that's right! The polls close tonight and it looks like Danger is getting tossed in the volcano this year! :biggrin: Let's get it nice and toasty in there...it's going to take some time to thaw him out up there in Alberta before we roast him properly.

Hehe,
I'll have a chat with Derivitive, I think she has a Harry Potter moive in mind but a fire is always fun!

Moonbear said:
Ooh, that's right! The polls close tonight and it looks like Danger is getting tossed in the volcano this year! :biggrin: Let's get it nice and toasty in there...it's going to take some time to thaw him out up there in Alberta before we roast him properly.

Oh, hot DOG! A sacrifice. This is sounding REALLY good, now! It's OK, trib. You can come over this time. We never did get around to chucking YOU into the volcano last year, did we? Or did I miss it? :grumpy:

Moonbear, if you can find a way to get all of my debris off these 5 acres and across the country to your house, I'd be more than happy to thaw your driveway. :biggrin: Ya better hurry, tho. The fire starts first thing in the morning! (well... MY morning...):biggrin:

Integral, tell Derivitive that she can watch Harry Potter ANY time. 'Course I will be burning for a long time, so anyone can show up at any time...

I must get to bed so I have lots of z's on board for the fires and the sacrifice(s). :devil: :rofl: G'nite! :smile:

Sweet, Friday means I have two distraction-free days to catch up on my work! :smile:

Kill me.

I knew the members of the PF Sisterhood were hot, but I had no idea that extended to volcanos and combustion. :biggrin:

Is anything burned in effigy at these meetings?

Soooooo, a number of years ago my wife - the pyromaniac - wanted to light a burn barrel [55 gallon drum] that I was preparing to light. But you see, due to the wet and difficult to light material inside, this was not just any burn barrel, this was a special barrel that had been primed with gasoline. I had a two by four with paper attached to the end ready to light and use as a giant match. The only problem was that since I was delayed by Tsu's request, the gasoline fumes had accumulated in the barrel.

Now, I told Tsu that this would be an energetic event, but even I didn't expect the thing to go off like a battleship cannon! So after I picked Tsu up off the ground, I don't think she stopped *****ing at me for at least a week. :biggrin:

Ivan, I so hate you for not providing film coverage. :rofl:

I hope Tsu wasn't peering into the barrel when you set it off.

What a fun couple.

I used to build fires in barrels when I was about 6-7. My brother (about 5-6 at the time) decided to take a look at what I was doing one day. He put his face over the edge of a barrel and promptly singed his eyelashes, eyebrows and hair. He did not repeat that mistake.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
I hope Tsu wasn't peering into the barrel when you set it off.
I couldn't believe that a quote like that came from you... until I reread it more carefully and saw the 'r' in that word. :redface:

Boy do have a vivid (well vivid may not be quite the word) imagination! :rolleyes: :biggrin: :rofl:

Confine it within something non-flammable? Why didn't I think of that?
*re-applies make-shift eyebrows with eyeliner pencil*

Reminds me of when I use to live in Tennessee and my neibors were having a bond fire and some wind blew some of the fire into the flood plains (it wasn't flooded then) and it burt down like 20 arces of grassland, lucky a near by creek stopped it. There use to be just really tall yellow grass there but after the fire it all turned into 6ft tall green grass and bushes so thick you couldn't even walk through it.

So, Tsu, how'd the fire go?

I want to come over and practice my chemistry in the bonfire. I got some recipes for pretty colored flames:

red flames
strontium chloride

carmine flames
lithium chloride

orange flames
calcium chloride (a bleaching powder)

white flames
magnesium sulphate (Epsom Salts)

blue flames
cupric chloride (copper chloride)

green flames
copper sulphate (blue vitrol)

yellow flames
sodium chloride

yellowish-green flames
sodium borate (borax)

purple flames
potassium chloride

violet flames
potassium sulphate (chromealum) mixed
3 to 1 with potassium nitrate (saltpeter)

Evo said:
So, Tsu, how'd the fire go?

They were DeLIGHTful! :rofl: I had two barrels going at once! It was GREAT! I think I'll have another one tomorrow. :biggrin: Maybe I'll fire up the BIG pile of debris down in the pasture. It'll be warmer in the sunshine (our house is surrounded by trees and in the shade a lot - my small piles of debris I'd been collecting all over were FROZEN and FROSTY - ALL DAY! ) and I'm betting it will burn better than what I had in the barrels. :rolleyes: (I need a new bottle of Kingsford... :rofl: ) Besides - I'll be right next to the creek in the pasture which is really kicking a** after all the rain we've had lately. :approve: Should be a nice way to spend the day waiting for Ivan to get home from CA.

Math, you know - the funnies and colored ads out of the newspaper make very nice colors in the flames - just in case you happen to forget your chemistry set. :rofl: :rofl:

OH! GUESS WHAT! We now have RACCOONS coming into the kitchen and eating our cats food! :rofl: I think I liked the skunks better. At least the skunks didn't growl at the cats. :rolleyes:

Tsu said:
OH! GUESS WHAT! We now have RACCOONS coming into the kitchen and eating our cats food! :rofl: I think I liked the skunks better. At least the skunks didn't growl at the cats. :rolleyes:
Oh NO! I'm surprised they can squeeze through the cat door. At least they are pretty smart critters and (in my case, anyway) seem to understand when they are being asked to leave.

LOL. We have the same problem with raccoons coming and eating dog food when we're on vacation and the dog is in the pound.

Math Is Hard said:
Oh NO! I'm surprised they can squeeze through the cat door. At least they are pretty smart critters and (in my case, anyway) seem to understand when they are being asked to leave.

You haven't seen our cat door! :rofl:

Unfortunately, if he continues to show, Mr. Racoon is going to have to meet Mr. Twelve Gauge. :frown:

We'll try to run him off first though...

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Mr. Racoon is going to have to meet Mr. Twelve Gauge.
I hope you have a repeater. Once I had to dispatch a sow racoon at my friend's farm (it was menacing the animals). It took 3 rounds of SSG magnum (I think that's what you call 00 buckshot in the States). The first shot took it out of the tree, the second one from about 5 feet away just pissed it off and it tried to eat my gun. :bugeye: It's easy to believe that they're closely related to badgers.

Danger said:
I hope you have a repeater. Once I had to dispatch a sow racoon at my friend's farm (it was menacing the animals). It took 3 rounds of SSG magnum (I think that's what you call 00 buckshot in the States). The first shot took it out of the tree, the second one from about 5 feet away just pissed it off and it tried to eat my gun. :bugeye: It's easy to believe that they're closely related to badgers.

Yikes! Maybe I had better use the .380. Hopefully he'll just go away with the food supply cut off.

A long time ago my uncle's neighbor had two coons get into their yard. They killed both of his dogs - both Dobermans.

Why don't you just park a car close by, I'm sure the racoon will find a way to injure himself with it.

1. What is the 4th of July?

The 4th of July, also known as Independence Day, is a federal holiday in the United States that commemorates the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776.

2. What does it mean to "celebrate with a Fire & Martini Party"?

Celebrating with a Fire & Martini Party refers to hosting a party on the 4th of July that includes both fireworks and martinis as part of the festivities.

3. Why is the 4th of July commonly associated with fireworks?

The tradition of setting off fireworks on the 4th of July dates back to the first Independence Day celebration in 1777. The fireworks represent the "rockets' red glare" mentioned in the national anthem and symbolize the celebration of freedom.

4. How can I safely enjoy fireworks at a party?

To safely enjoy fireworks at a party, make sure to follow all local laws and regulations. Keep a safe distance from the fireworks and always have a responsible adult present. It is also important to never light fireworks indoors or near flammable materials.

5. Are there any alternatives to fireworks for a 4th of July party?

Yes, there are many alternatives to fireworks for a 4th of July party. Some ideas include sparklers, glow sticks, or a laser light show. You could also incorporate patriotic decorations, music, and games into your party to celebrate the holiday without the use of fireworks.