Exploring Symmetrical Words: Finding Flippable Word Pairs

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the words do not have to be the same when reversed. The alphabet includes letters that are anti symmetrical.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I want to find words that are can be flipped horizontally (like in a mirror) and still make other words.

They do NOT have to be the same words backward and forward. In Wiki, under vertically symmetical words they have ma'am and toot, but thewse words are the same words when reversed. Thids is not necessary.

eg. boob flipped horizontally is dood (not really a word but wut ev...).

What's the biggest word or words you can find?

They could be caps, or they could be lower case.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cool game. My Mom used to sign off her letters with "remember..MOM is just WOW upside down".

CHOICE in the mirror is CHOICE. (turn it upside down first)

OAT <--> TAO (for a non-palindromic attempt, and playing by the rules)

I SIN; WOT AM I? <--> I'M A TOWN, IS I? (begging some poetic freedom with the N, the spacing and the punc's)

PS: First time I've intentionally used an apostrophe in a plural noun not indicating a possessive.

Last edited:
A h i m o t u v w x

A ToYoTA

I tried to make it all caps but kept coming back as "A toyota".

Jimmy Snyder said:
CHOICE in the mirror is CHOICE. (turn it upside down first)

Letters have to be symmetrical about the vertical axis (I see now there was some ambiguity in what I meant.).

Why am I doing this?

We have glass walls in our new office meeting room. They do double duty as whiteboards that you can write on with special markers. This results in writing that can be read from both inside AND outside the meeting room.

I want to write some message on the wall that can be read from both sides. It doesn't have to make sense, and certainly doesn't have to be the same from both sides. In fact, the more different it is, the more obvious to the reader that I'm deliberately playing with the space.

And now you can see why I can't use dood...

Last edited:
G037H3 said:
A h i m o t u v w x

Presumably, you meant those to be uppercase, (otherwise a and h don't qualify)

If so, you forgot Y. And S=Z can qualify (since it's hand-written).

Alternately, and I like this better:

i l m n o t u v w x y
b/d p/q s/z

Since there seems to be a paucity of good words coming from either l/c or u/c, I may have to allow mixed case in order to give us enough room to maneuver.

Thus our full alphabet becomes:

A H Y
i l m n o t u v w x
b/d p/q s/z

Anyone see any more two-letter transpositions?

Last edited:
Since it's handwritten, E / 3 could be added to the list.

mood and YAW are two obvious ones.

DaveC426913 said:
Presumably, you meant those to be uppercase, (otherwise a and h don't qualify)

If so, you forgot Y. And S=Z can qualify (since it's hand-written).

Alternately, and I like this better:

i l m n o t u v w x y
b/d p/q s/z

Since there seems to be a paucity of good words coming from either l/c or u/c, I may have to allow mixed case in order to give us enough room to maneuver.

Thus our full alphabet becomes:

A H Y
i l m n o t u v w x
b/d p/q s/z

Anyone see any more two-letter transpositions?

All caps automatically does that. And I don't consider Y, because I don't write it like that, and the S/Z thing is silly. >_> You're cheating. :)

pA i mUll A miAmi -> i mAim All UmiAq

TUnA nUT
TOO HOT TO HOOT

Same spacing both ways:
MAY A MUd MOM bUM A YAM

Last edited:
G037H3 said:
All caps automatically does that. And I don't consider Y, because I don't write it like that,
Capital Y is, when correctly written, vertically symmetrical.

G037H3 said:
and the S/Z thing is silly. >_> You're cheating. :)
Silly? Cheating?? That's the most clever part! At least, p/q and b/d are. I suppose the s/z thing could be considered a bit of a reach.

Borg said:
pA i mUll A miAmi -> i mAim All UmiAq

TUnA nUT
TOO HOT TO HOOT

Same spacing both ways:
MAY A MUd MOM bUM A YAM

Just so we're clear: there is absolutely no requirement - or even desire - for palindromity.

DaveC426913 said:
Just so we're clear: there is absolutely no requirement - or even desire - for palindromity.
The first one wasn't meant to be a palindrome. Just showing what it reads in both directions.

I just noticed there's not too many anti symmetric letters in our alphabet. N is anti symmetrc in one dimension, Z in the other, along with S. Tha seems to be about it.

Pythagorean said:
I just noticed there's not too many anti symmetric letters in our alphabet. N is anti symmetrc in one dimension, Z in the other, along with S. Tha seems to be about it.

I expected a Nazi joke after you said N and Z were anti-symmetric. It would've been sweet if you could have pulled that off.

leroyjenkens said:
I expected a Nazi joke after you said N and Z were anti-symmetric. It would've been sweet if you could have pulled that off.

:frown:

leroyjenkens said:

:rofl: Good one, leroy. Nazis are the pinnacle of anti-symmetric commentary. :biggrin:

1. What are symmetrical words?

Symmetrical words are words that can be spelled the same way forwards and backwards. This is also known as a palindrome.

2. Can you provide some examples of symmetrical words?

Some examples of symmetrical words include "radar", "level", "racecar", "mom", and "noon".

3. Are there any rules for creating symmetrical words?

No, there are no specific rules for creating symmetrical words. They can be created by chance or intentionally.

4. How are symmetrical words used in language?

Symmetrical words are often used in word play, such as in puzzles or riddles. They can also be used for poetic effect or to create a memorable phrase.

5. Are there any benefits to knowing about symmetrical words?

Knowing about symmetrical words can improve one's vocabulary and understanding of language. It can also be a fun and challenging mental exercise to try and come up with new symmetrical words.