Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Word probl

1. Apr 22, 2004 #1
    Darrell is making arrangements to pick up a client at the airport. Airport taxi charges $6.00, plus $0.50 per kilometre. Airport limo charges a flat rate of $40 for its limousine service.
    a)Write a system of equations that describes the cost of the taxi and limoousine.
    b)solve the system you wrote in a
    c) Explain what the solution to the sytem represents.
    d) Darrell is trying to decide whether the taxi or the limo is cheaper. What advice would you give Darrell?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Shouldn't this be in the homework section? (And shouldn't you show us what you have already done?)

The equation for the limousine is easy! Letting L be the cost of the limosine and x the distance driven: L= 40, of course.
    The equation for the taxi is almost as easy: Letting T be the cost of the taxi and x the distance driven: T= 6+ 0.50x.

b) I have no idea what you mean by "solve the system you wrote in a". In the first place, it's not really a system- it's two separate equations. In the second, what do you want to solve for?

c) Uh, yeah, that's what I'd like you to do!

d) Okay, I suspect that the problem wants you to set L= T in the two equations and solve for x: the distance at which the two costs are the same. Below that distance, the taxi is cheaper, beyond, the limousine is cheaper.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?