What Determines the Acceleration of a Charge in an Electric Field?

In summary, when a positive charge q is placed in the field created by two other charges Q1 and Q2, the acceleration of q is determined by the vector sum of the electric fields of Q1 and Q2. This means that the acceleration can be in any direction, depending on the magnitude and direction of the electric fields. However, the acceleration will be in the direction of the charge Q1 or Q2 of smaller magnitude, in the direction of the charge Q1 or Q2 of greater magnitude, or in a direction determined by the vector sum of the electric fields of Q1 and Q2. The direction of the negative charge is not a determining factor, as there can be situations where the acceleration is away from the negative charge
GlobalDuty

Homework Statement

When a positive charge q is placed in the field created by two other charges Q1 and Q2, each a distance r away from q, the acceleration of q is
a. in the direction of the charge Q1 or Q2 of smaller magnitude.

b. in the direction of the charge Q1 or Q2 of greater magnitude.

c. in the direction of the negative charge if Q1 and Q2 are of opposite sign.

d. in the direction of the positive charge if Q1 and Q2 are of opposite sign.

e. in a direction determined by the vector sum of the electric fields of Q1 and Q2.

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing that you are not supposed to assume that q is on a line connecting the other two charges. In other words, I'm guessing that you are supposed to assume that the charges are put on the corners of some sort of an isosceles triangle (conceptually).

(Otherwise you could come up with certain special cases where each choice would be true, even through it wouldn't be true in general.)

Try to come up with a counterexample for which (c) is false - that is, can you find some situation in which Q1 and Q2 have opposite sign, and the acceleration of q is away from the negative charge? (Hint: it can be done with all the particles on a line)

1. How do I calculate electrical power?

To calculate electrical power, you multiply the voltage (measured in volts) by the current (measured in amperes). This will give you the power in watts. The formula is written as P = VI.

2. What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) refer to the flow of electricity. AC current changes direction periodically, while DC current flows in only one direction. Most household appliances use AC current, while batteries and electronic devices use DC current.

3. How do I determine the resistance of a circuit?

The resistance of a circuit can be calculated by dividing the voltage by the current, using the formula R = V/I. You can also use Ohm's Law, which states that the current in a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

4. How do I calculate the cost of electricity?

To calculate the cost of electricity, you need to know the power consumption of the device (in watts), the cost per kilowatt-hour (kWh) charged by your electricity provider, and the length of time the device will be used. Multiply the power consumption by the cost per kWh and then by the number of hours the device will be used to get the total cost.

5. What is the difference between parallel and series circuits?

In a parallel circuit, the components are connected to each other in branches, so there are multiple paths for the current to flow. In a series circuit, the components are connected to each other in a single loop, so the current has only one path to flow. This affects the overall resistance and current in the circuit.