1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Word Problem - Expected Value

1. Feb 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that if you are s minutes early for an appointment, then you incur cost s * $3,
    while if you are s minutes late, you incur cost s * $5. Suppose the travel time from your
    present location and the location of the appointment is a continuous random variable with
    pdf f(x) such that f(x) = (1/10)e-x/10 if x ≥ 0 and f(x) = 0 if x < 0. How many minutes before your appointment should you depart in order to minimize your expected cost?

3. The attempt at a solution

So i want to find E[X] and then the variance i assume...

[itex]E[X] = \int_{0}^{∞} x( 1/10e^{-x/10})[/itex]

But if i evaluate this i'm going to get either 0 or infinity... So should this just be an indefinite integral?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Computing EX has nothing to do with the problem. You want to look at expected COST, which will depend on when you leave. Write a formula for the cost function, given that you leave m minutes before your appointment and the trip takes x minutes. Then take the expected value of that cost function.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted