1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Word problem, finding maximum

1. Oct 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find two numbers whose product is a maximum if the sum of the first number and twice the second is 100

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Alright so I think I might have the right answer but something just doesn't seem right.

so first I named my two variables x,y then I set up the problem in terms of x and y

then I solved for y to get

then I multiply the new y value and x to get the maximum

x(50-x/2)=0 solve to get

so then I plug my x value back in to get my y value and end up with

(25/2,175/4) as my maximum right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2008 #2
    oh wait so I found the answer in my text book (the original question was on a lab but my teachers almost all the lab questions from the book) and the answer is 50 and 25 which makes sense but i still can't find the flaw in my logic : (
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  4. Oct 14, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

Why do you set

x\left(50 - \frac x 2 \right)

equal to zero and solve for [tex] x [/tex]? You don't want this product to be zero, you want it
    to be the maximum value possible. That is where your error lies.
  5. Oct 14, 2008 #4
    oh yeah, you're right. :blushing:
  6. Oct 14, 2008 #5

Staff: Mentor

You determined that the two numbers are x and 50 - x/2.

Let's get rid of y as you first defined it (i.e., as the other number, which you've already figured out) and let's now use it to represent the product of the two numbers.

So y = x(50 - x/2)

If you think of the graph that the equation above represents, what you found is where that graph crosses the x-axis. You found one of these points and missed the other one.

Is there a high point for this graph? That's really what you're looking for, not where the graph crosses the x-axis.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?