How did your post get eaten by a raptor?

• Thread starter sutupidmath
  • Start date
In summary, the raptor's x and y positions are represented by X = 12(sqrt2) t_x and Y = 12(sqrt2) t_y, while the person's x and y positions are represented by x = 5(sqrt2) (t+3) and y = 5(sqrt2) (t+3). In order for the raptor to catch the person, the values for t_x and t_y must be equal. Solving for the time variable T, it takes the raptor 15 seconds to catch the person. This is because the person is on the line x=y and the raptor starts at the origin. If the raptor's speed is 15sqrt{2}m/s
sutupidmath
...got it...

Thnx though!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Check this out.

x: person's x position
y: person's y position
X: raptor's x position
Y: raptor's y position

x = 5(sqrt2) (t+3)
y = 5(sqrt2) (t+3)

X = 12(sqrt2) t_x
Y = 12(sqrt2) t_y

If the raptor wants to catch you, t_x must equal t_y... because the person is on the line x=y and the raptor starts at the origin. So t_x equals t_y equals t.

Let T represent the time the raptor catches you (with t = 0 being when the raptor starts running). Then we must have that

5(sqrt2)(T+3) = 12(sqrt2)(T/2)

The equation is the same for y.

Solving for T...

5T + 15 = 6T

T = 15.

So it takes the raptor 15 seconds to catch the dude.

It can't very well be 1.5 s, can it? The raptor has only moved 22.5(sqrt2) = 32 total, while the person has moved 45 total. Even if the raptor was chasing the guy directly, he wouldn't catch him.

csprof2000 said:
Check this out.

X = 12(sqrt2) t_x
Y = 12(sqrt2) t_y

T = 15.

So it takes the raptor 15 seconds to catch the dude.

It can't very well be 1.5 s, can it? The raptor has only moved 22.5(sqrt2) = 32 total, while the person has moved 45 total. Even if the raptor was chasing the guy directly, he wouldn't catch him.

Comparing my solution with yours(the one that i did after my first post), i see that we have the same idea, in general terms with some slight differences, besides that you have a typo on your solution, because the speed of the raptor is 15sqrt{2}m/s and not 12sqrt{2}m/s so the final answer should be 6 s.

Cheers!

What happened? Did the raptor eat your post instead of you??

arildno said:
What happened? Did the raptor eat your post instead of you??

It looks like that's the case.

Well, in fact, after i initially posted the problem and the 'solution', after a few hours i wanted to edit it since i found the correct solution, but while tring to post it the pf was having trouble or don't know what, so that's what was left from my post.

1. How do I approach a word problem?

When approaching a word problem, it is important to first read the problem carefully and identify the given information and what you are being asked to find. Then, create a plan or strategy for solving the problem, such as drawing a diagram or creating an equation. Finally, solve the problem step by step and check your answer to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

2. How can I check if my answer to a word problem is correct?

To check if your answer to a word problem is correct, you can plug your answer back into the original problem and see if it makes sense. You can also try solving the problem using a different method or approach to see if you get the same answer.

3. What are some common mistakes made when solving word problems?

Some common mistakes made when solving word problems include misreading the problem, not understanding the given information, using the wrong formula or equation, and making careless errors in calculations. It is important to double check your work and carefully read the problem to avoid these mistakes.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving word problems?

To improve your skills in solving word problems, it is helpful to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different types of problems. You can also try breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and use visual aids or diagrams to help with understanding. Seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.

5. Are there any tips for solving word problems more efficiently?

Some tips for solving word problems more efficiently include identifying key information, setting up a clear and organized plan, and working through the problem step by step. It can also be helpful to use real-life examples or relate the problem to a familiar concept. Additionally, practicing and getting comfortable with different problem-solving strategies can make the process more efficient.