1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Word Problem Question

1. Oct 11, 2006 #1
    Ive got an assignment of word problems and cant seem to figure this one out:

A 6 Litre car radiator is 2 thirds full of water. How much of a 90% antifreeze solution (90% is alcohol by volume) must be added to it to make a 10% antifreeze solution in the radiator?

I came up with the equation: 0.9x=(0.1)(6)

but that didnt work so any help about what the way to set up the problem would be great.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How much water is in the radiator?
  4. Oct 11, 2006 #3
    4L of water
  5. Oct 11, 2006 #4
    i tried to do it a new way which was :

but i got a negative number from that attempt so that cant be the answer
  6. Oct 11, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are assuming that the total liquid volume in the radiator is 6 litres. If that were the case, that would mean that you were adding 2 litres of antifreeze solution. But then you would be adding .9(2)= 1.8 litres of pure antifreeze which would give a concentration of 1.8/6.0= 0.3 or 30%. That's too high so you must not be filling the radiator.

Let x be the number of litres of 90% solution you are adding. Then the total liquid volume in the radiator is 4+ x litres. The amount of pure anti-freeze you are adding is (as you say) .9x. The concentration of pure anti-freeze in the radiator is [itex]\frac{.9x}{4+ x}= .1[/itex]. Solve that for x.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?