• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Word problem,Trig functions

• Thread starter Nelo
  • Start date

Homework Statement

13) An angle has a radian measure of Pi/8 . Find the exact radian measure of

a) Its supplement
b) Its complement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried converting it to degrees by doing degrees / pi and then doing 90 - that angle i got to give me supplement / compliment, then re convert it back into radiants, However that didnt work.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Answers and Replies

eumyang
Homework Helper
I tried converting it to degrees by doing degrees / pi...
You don't need to convert to degrees; however, if you really want to, you want to multiply by 180/π. I don't know what you mean by "degrees/pi".

... and then doing 90 - that angle i got to give me supplement / compliment, then re convert it back into radiants, However that didnt work.
"90 - that angle"... does that give you the supplement, the complement, or both? You're not making any sense here.

Instead of converting π/8 to degrees, convert 90° to radians (and it's 90°, not 90 - if there's no degree mark, radians is assumed) and then perform the subtraction.

Homework Statement

13) An angle has a radian measure of Pi/8 . Find the exact radian measure of

a) Its supplement
b) Its complement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried converting it to degrees by doing degrees / pi and then doing 90 - that angle i got to give me supplement / compliment, then re convert it back into radiants, However that didnt work.

Does anyone know how to solve this?
An important part of trig is learning to think in radians, so converting to degrees isn't suggested.

My tenth grade geometry teacher told us that 'c' is for corner, and 's' is for straight. So the complement is what you add to your angle to get a right angle; and the supplement is what you add to get a straight angle.

How many radians are in a right angle? How many in a straight angle?