Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Word Problem

1. May 30, 2006 #1
    The sum of two intergers is twenty. Five times the smaller interger is two more than twice the larger integer. Find the integers.

I'm somehow lost on the problem

I tried setting the problem up to solve for the smaller varrible. Making it x & the larger 20-x. Anyway, I came up with 5x + 2 = 40 - 2x, then 7x = 38... Somewhere I really got screwed up. I know the answers are 6 & 14 but I can't seem to figure out how to setup the problem.

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2006 #2

dav2008

Gold Member

It says "Five times the smaller integer is two more than twice the larger integer"

You wrote that as 5x+2=2(20-x), which is saying "five times the smaller integer plus two is equal to twice the larger integer"

Do you see where you made your mistake now?

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  4. May 31, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Note that if x= 8 y= 6, then x is "two more than" y but x+ 2= 10, not 6. You are "going the wrong way". Instead of 5x+ 2, what should you have?

5. May 31, 2006 #4
    Yes, I got it now. It was late & I miss read the problem. It was 5x = 40-2x+2 which gave me 7x = 42 & the two integers are 6 & 14. Thanks. :approve:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook