1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Word Problem

1. May 30, 2006 #1
    The sum of two intergers is twenty. Five times the smaller interger is two more than twice the larger integer. Find the integers.

I'm somehow lost on the problem

I tried setting the problem up to solve for the smaller varrible. Making it x & the larger 20-x. Anyway, I came up with 5x + 2 = 40 - 2x, then 7x = 38... Somewhere I really got screwed up. I know the answers are 6 & 14 but I can't seem to figure out how to setup the problem.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2006 #2

Gold Member

It says "Five times the smaller integer is two more than twice the larger integer"

You wrote that as 5x+2=2(20-x), which is saying "five times the smaller integer plus two is equal to twice the larger integer"

Do you see where you made your mistake now?
    Last edited: May 30, 2006
  4. May 31, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Note that if x= 8 y= 6, then x is "two more than" y but x+ 2= 10, not 6. You are "going the wrong way". Instead of 5x+ 2, what should you have?
  5. May 31, 2006 #4
    Yes, I got it now. It was late & I miss read the problem. It was 5x = 40-2x+2 which gave me 7x = 42 & the two integers are 6 & 14. Thanks. :approve:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?