Find the Factor for Change in y Due to x & z

• Thread starter kee23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the change in y based on the changes in x and z, given that y is directly proportional to the cube of x and inversely proportional to the square of z. The equation y = Kx^3/z^2 is used to solve the question, with the answer being 21.37%.
kee23

Homework Statement

Given that y is directly proportional to the cube of x and inversly proportional to the square of z, if x decreases by 23.3% and z increases by 45.3%, by what factor does y change?

Homework Equations

Couldn't make a equation but I tried like this:
y=K/x^3+1/z^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't get the question and where to start adding variables into the equation.
I think the equation is wrong to me though. Someone help?
(am I in the right thread for this question?)
Also my English is sort of weak so please make statement simple as possible. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If c is proportional to a, and proportional to b, then

c∝a and c∝b ⇒ c∝ab

Try remaking your equation now.

Start with y = Kx3/z2.

Is the answer 21.37%?

umm so I did it as y=Kx3/z2
and so I got the value : y=K12649/2052.09.
So do I replace the "y" with -23.3% and +45.3% then solve for "K"?

Rohit Mallya said:
Is the answer 21.37%?

umm I think so because the answer they left was in decimals so real answer is 0.214

I don't what they're saying from the question "if x decreases by 23.3% and z increases by 45.3%, by what factor does y change?"

Last edited:
kee23 said:
umm I think so because the answer they left was in decimals so real answer is 0.214

I don't what they're saying from the question "if x decreases by 23.3% and z increases by 45.3%, by what factor does y change?"

x decreases BY 23.3% means x=100-23.3=76.6% So you have to sub. x=76.6. But if they had given decreases to 23.3% then x=23.3
z=145.5

substituting this in the equation with k=1 we get x=21.37 in the answer which you have mentioned they have divided it by 100...

hmmm I don't know how to get rid of "k" when I have y=K76.73/145.52

Look at the ratio of the new y value to the old y value. In the ratio, the K's cancel, as do the x's and z's.

BTW, 100-23.3[itex]\neq[/itex]76.6.

Oops...Sorry Sir...
its 76.7...

yeah...Mark Sir is correct...

Eqn(1) y=kx3/y2

Eqn(2) y'=k(76.7)3/(145.5)2

Eqn(2)/Eqn(1)=> y'=21.37y

I think I got it. Thanks for help people :D

1. How do you calculate the factor for change in y due to x and z?

The factor for change in y due to x and z can be calculated by dividing the change in y by the change in x and z. This can be expressed as:
Factor = (Change in y) / (Change in x and z)

2. What is the significance of finding the factor for change in y due to x and z?

Finding the factor for change in y due to x and z can help determine the relationship between y, x, and z. It can also be used to predict the change in y for a given change in x and z.

3. Can the factor for change in y due to x and z be negative?

Yes, the factor for change in y due to x and z can be negative. This indicates an inverse relationship between y and x and z, where an increase in x and z leads to a decrease in y.

4. Is the factor for change in y due to x and z the same as the slope of the regression line?

No, the factor for change in y due to x and z is not always the same as the slope of the regression line. The factor represents the change in y for a given change in x and z, while the slope represents the change in y for a unit change in x.

5. How can the factor for change in y due to x and z be used to make predictions?

The factor for change in y due to x and z can be used to make predictions by multiplying it with the change in x and z. This will give the predicted change in y for the given change in x and z.