Adding Water to Car Radiator: 40% or 10% Antifreeze?

In summary, the radiator of a car holds 10 gallons of liquid and is currently half full with a mixture containing 60% antifreeze and 40% water. To reach a mixture with only 40% antifreeze, a certain amount of water must be added. Similarly, to reach a mixture with only 10% antifreeze, a different amount of water must be added.
theoristo
The radiator of a car can contain 10 gal of liquid. If it is half full with a
mixture having 60% antifreeze and 40% water, how much more water
must be added so that the resulting mixture has only
a) 40% antifreeze? b) 10% antifreeze?
Will it fit in the radiator?

Physics news on Phys.org
theoristo said:
The radiator of a car can contain 10 gal of liquid. If it is half full with a
mixture having 60% antifreeze and 40% water, how much more water
must be added so that the resulting mixture has only
a) 40% antifreeze? b) 10% antifreeze?
Will it fit in the radiator?

Show your work. At the very least, define some variables that must be found in order to solve your problem. Then try to write some equations that those variables must satisfy. You really do need to be able to do this on your own if you want to pass the course. We can help, but we can't do the problem for you.

Ray Vickson said:
Show your work. At the very least, define some variables that must be found in order to solve your problem. Then try to write some equations that those variables must satisfy. You really do need to be able to do this on your own if you want to pass the course. We can help, but we can't do the problem for you.
Sorry I didn't want the solution I just wanted to share it.

3/5 = % antifreeze
2/5 = % water
half-full = 5 gallons of mixture

If 5 gallons is in the radiator, and 3/5 of it is antifreeze, then there must be 3 gallons of antifreeze in the radiator. Similarly, the other 2/5 must be water.

a.) remember that (amount of antifreeze)/(total) x 100 = % antifreeze
Since you know the desired amount of antifreeze, we must add a certain amount of water to the total mixture in order to reduce the percentage of antifreeze. (3)/(5 + x gal of water) = (2/5)

b.) same as part a.) but more water must be added

1. What is the purpose of antifreeze in a car radiator?

Antifreeze is a liquid solution that is added to the car radiator to lower the freezing point of the water inside. This prevents the water from freezing in cold temperatures and causing damage to the radiator and engine.

2. What is the recommended ratio of antifreeze to water for a car radiator?

The recommended ratio is typically 50/50, which means equal parts of antifreeze and water. However, depending on the climate and temperature, the ratio can be adjusted to either 40% or 10% antifreeze.

3. When should I use a 40% antifreeze ratio?

A 40% antifreeze ratio is recommended for colder climates where the temperature regularly drops below freezing. This will provide better protection against freezing and potential damage to the radiator and engine.

4. What happens if I use too much antifreeze in my car radiator?

Using too much antifreeze in the car radiator can actually decrease its effectiveness. This is because antifreeze is not as efficient at transferring heat as water is. If there is too much antifreeze, it can hinder the ability of the radiator to cool the engine properly.

5. Can I use just water in my car radiator without antifreeze?

No, it is not recommended to use just water in your car radiator. Water alone will freeze in cold temperatures and can cause damage to the radiator and engine. Additionally, antifreeze also helps to prevent corrosion and rust in the cooling system.